ASU soccer continues skid, loses to Washington 1-0

After allowing an early goal, ASU was unable to break through and equalize

SoccerRecap.jpg

ASU players huddle with their captain in the first half against UCLA on Sunday, Oct. 6, 2019, at Sun Devil Soccer Stadium in Tempe, Arizona.

ASU soccer (6-5-2) remained winless in Pac-12 play Thursday after losing 1-0 to Washington (7-3-2) in Seattle.  

The game's lone goal was scored in the 4th minute by Huskies midfielder Olivia Van der Jagt. That early goal marked the third game in a row in which ASU has given up a score in the first seven minutes.

From an offensive standpoint ASU was stagnant, putting up only six shots, four of which were on goal, the entire night. Washington, on the other hand, registered 24 shots with 11 shots on goal.

ASU's struggles to generate goal-scoring opportunities have become a recent trend as the competition level has risen.

Freshman goalkeeper Giulia Cascapera was one of the few bright spots for the Sun Devils Thursday, as she made 10 saves. Cascapera has played well recently for ASU; even in losses she has made some incredible saves to keep the game within reach for her team.

ASU will look to find answers quickly as it currently sits in last place in the Pac-12 at 0-3-1.

Things won’t get easier going forward for the Sun Devils. They will travel to Pullman to face off against the No. 15 Washington State Cougars (9-3) Sunday afternoon at 1 p.m. MST.

Reach the reporter at ltochter@asu.edu and follow @Leo_Toch on Twitter.

×