ASU soccer salvages tie, but remains winless in conference play

ASU's recent offensive struggles continued in a scoreless draw vs. Washington State

SoccerHEADER.jpg

ASU freshman goalkeeper Giulia Cascapera (13) waits for the ball during the first half of ASU's 4-1 victory over UCLA on Sunday, Oct. 6, 2019, at Sun Devil Soccer Stadium in Tempe, Arizona.

ASU soccer (6-5-3) remained winless in Pac-12 play Sunday but was able to salvage a scoreless tie with No. 15 Washington State (9-3-1).

From an offensive standpoint, ASU was rudderless, managing only four shots(one on goal) total in 110 minutes of play. In five Pac-12 matches thus far, ASU has only scored four goals.

ASU’s defense put together one of its better performances of the year. Although the Cougars recorded 27 shots (10 on goal), the Sun Devils registered a defensive shutout for only the third time this season.

Freshman goalkeeper Giulia Cascapera was consistent all afternoon with nine saves.

Despite putting up a strong effort against a ranked opponent, the Sun Devils remain tied for last in the Pac-12 with a 0-3-2 conference record.

Next up, ASU will travel to Boulder to face Colorado (9-4-1, 1-3-1 Pac-12) on Saturday Oct. 19 at 12 p.m. MST.

Reach the reporter at ltochter@asu.edu and follow @Leo_Toch on Twitter.

×