ASU volleyball couldn't keep up with No. 20 Utah in sweep

Utah completed at least 35% of kills in all three sets against ASU

ASU Volleyball vs Colorado-9.jpg

ASU Senior libero Courtney Leffel (#1) bumps the ball in their 3-1 victory over Colorado at Wells Fargo Arena Friday, Oct. 4, 2019, in Tempe, Arizona.

The ASU volleyball team (10-5) couldn't keep up with the high-powered offense of No. 20 Utah, surrendering their second sweep of the season on Sunday (25-16, 25-22, 25-20). 

Junior outside hitter Andrea Mitrovic led the Sun Devils with nine kills. Junior middle blocker Megan Beedie chipped in with seven kills.

Redshirt senior middle blocker Berkeley Oblad and junior outside hitter Dani Drews powered the Utes with 12 and ten kills respectively. 

ASU couldn't keep up with a Utah offense that was clicking on all cylinders, as the Utes hit at a 33% clip and compiled 52 kills. 

The Sun Devils were able to keep pace with the Utes in the early portion of the first set, but a 6-1 run from the Utes late in the set gave them enough momentum to win the game.

The second set went back and forth between the two teams all the way up to the 20th point. However, another 6-1 run from Utah to end the set gave them the second point.

Utah continued to push ASU's defense, as they held the lead for nearly all of the third and final set. 

The Utes killed above 35% in all three sets, including a scorching 67% in the first set.

ASU didn't help themselves offensively to combat Utah, as the team only hit 16% for the match. Head coach Sanja Tomasevic noted the team's lack of execution defensively over the match.

"Our blockers were all over the place. Our eye-work was bad," Tomasevic said. "They hit their shots. Our blockers were just not in good spots."

Tomaseivc also mentioned how she used different setters to get their hitters going, something that never materialized.

"I was just trying to get somebody going," Tomasevic said. "Our passers were doing a good job. We were expecting to run less predictable, more tempo offense and we didn't do that."

The Sun Devils will play No. 19 Cal on Friday in Berkeley at 7 p.m. MST.

Reach the reporter at jhorst2@asu.edu and follow @HorseySeven on Twitter.

Jeffrey HorstDigital editor-in-chief

Jeffrey Horst is the digital editor-in-chief of The State Press. He previously served as the publication's sports editor and worked at Cronkite News and ArizonaSports.com.

×