ASU volleyball loses to No. 2 Stanford, suffers third straight sweep

ASU extends their season-long losing streak to three games

VBheader.jpg
ASU junior outside hitter Andrea Mitrovic (#16) spikes the ball in their 0-3 loss to Utah at Wells Fargo Arena in Tempe, Arizona, on Sunday, Oct. 6, 2019.​

ASU volleyball (10-7) fell to short-handed No. 2 Stanford in straight sets (18-25, 21-25, 22-25) Sunday.

Freshman outside hitter Iman Isanovic hit at a 46% clip and led the Sun Devils with 13 kills.

Junior outside hitter Andrea Mitrovic chipped in 12 kills for ASU.

ASU played competitively early in the first set, staying as close as 11-13. Stanford then went on a 5-0 run to break away and win the set. 

The second set drew a similar pattern for the Sun Devils. They remained in striking distance throughout, but the Cardinal were able to put them away late.

In the third set, ASU trailed by as many as six points but made it close down the stretch before a Stanford kill put the match away, sealing the sweep.

The Sun Devils hit almost 32% for the game, their third best mark in a game this year.

The Cardinal entered the match without their two best scorers, senior outside hitter Kathryn Plummer and senior opposite Audriana Fitzmorris. The former had been out for the past three games with an undisclosed injury.

Stanford junior outside hitter Meghan McClure picked up the slack and totaled a team-high 12 kills.

Sunday marks ASU's third straight loss, its longest losing streak of the season.

ASU will play Washington in Seattle, Friday Oct. 18 at 7 p.m. MST.

Reach the reporter at jhorst2@asu.edu and follow @HorseySeven on Twitter.

Jeffrey HorstDigital editor-in-chief

Jeffrey Horst is the digital editor-in-chief of The State Press. He previously served as the publication's sports editor and worked at Cronkite News and ArizonaSports.com.

×