Three new restaurants opening near ASU's Downtown Phoenix campus

From breakfast burritos to orange chicken, these restaurants will satisfy any "Hungry Devil"

restaurants.png

"There are three new restaurants opening on the Downtown Phoenix campus." Illustration published on Tuesday, Nov. 12, 2019.

From fresh açaí bowls to American Chinese cuisine, here is a list of three new restaurants that have opened or are set to open soon near the ASU Downtown Phoenix campus.

These new eateries are all open to the public, students and faculty who are looking for a bite to eat.

Sharon Smith, dean of students for the Downtown Phoenix campus, said that the new dining options give more variety for students to choose from, such as eating from different cuisines.  

"With the addition of the new eateries downtown, what it does (is) it provides more food options for students," Smith said. 

Panda Express

Panda Express is replacing Hsin Cafe, which served Chinese food, such as boba drinks and fried rice. Panda Express serves American-Chinese fusion meals, such as orange chicken and chow mein. 

The fast-food chain will be located on the bottom floor of Taylor Place, which is located south of First and Fillmore Street and will open in January 2020. Maroon and Gold Dollars will be eligible to use, Smith said.  

Katie Hicks, a sophomore studying nursing, said she is excited to have more companies coming to the Downtown Phoenix campus. 

"I think it will definitely give the new students more opportunities to eat somewhere else because right now it's just Chick-fil-A, the P.O.D. and the dining hall." 

Rush Bowls

This açaí bowl shop will open near the Cronkite building on the southwest corner of Taylor Street and First Street. It will be open during the Spring 2020 semester.

Many of the options Rush Bowls serves are açaí bowls, power bowls and smoothies topped with fresh fruits and granola. The restaurant chain first opened in 2004 in Colorado and is expanding across the country.

Hungry Devil 

Hungry Devil restaurant recently opened underneath The Walter Cronkite School of Journalism and Mass Communication building in early November, adding onto a pre-existing location in the Mercado.

The Hungry Devil will serve breakfast and lunch items, from breakfast burritos to buffalo chicken tenders.

Barbara Lloyd, senior real estate manager for the University, said that both of the locations are open during weekdays from 7 a.m. to 3 p.m, and there is a possibility for additional hours on Saturday. 

"It is more of a quick-serve, focused on sandwiches and more of a deli-type operation," Lloyd said. "... It provides two additional eating options within walking distance to our education facilities and residence halls."

Reach the reporter at anatar12@asu.edu or follow @AnushaNat1 on Twitter.

Anusha NatarajanDiversity Officer

Anusha Natarajan is in her third year at ASU studying sociology, history, and political science. She previously served as a reporter for the community and culture desk for four semester and helps with Spanish translation and oversees diversity efforts in the newsroom. 

×