ASU men's basketball eclipses Georgia 79-59 after second half outburst

The Sun Devils produced a stretch of eight straight made shots in the second half to cruise to victory

A second half offensive outburst, including a stretch of eight straight makes, propelled ASU men's basketball (8-2) past Georgia (6-3) to a 79-59 blowout on Saturday night.

Junior guard Remy Martin scored 23 points, dished six assists and grabbed three rebounds for ASU.

Redshirt junior forward Romello White put up 18 points and 17 rebounds for the Sun Devils. 

Martin began the game aggressive, scoring 15 points in the first half. However, he made only five of his first 13 shots.

White also carried a portion of the scoring load in the first 20 minutes, scoring ten points while making four of his five shots.

Potential top draft pick, Georgia's Anthony Edwards, started the game strong, scoring 12 points and hitting half of his shot attempts in the first half.

Outside of those players, both teams struggled to find offense. ASU and Georgia shot below 40% from the field and below 30% from the three point line.

The Sun Devils' offense took off in the second half, shooting a scorching 62.1%. Their outburst included five straight makes from junior forward Kimani Lawrence.

Georgia's offense continued to struggle, shooting just 33.3% in the second half and suffering a stretch of nine straight misses midway through the second half. ASU took advantage of the scoring drought and went on a 13-2 run in that span. 

Edwards only scored one point and only took two shots in the second half.

ASU will take on Saint Mary's in the 2019 Basketball Hall of Fame Showcase on Dec. 18 in Phoenix at 7:00 p.m. MST.

Reach the reporter at jhorst2@asu.edu and follow @HorseySeven on Twitter.

Get the best of State Press delivered straight to your inbox.

×

This website uses cookies to make your expierence better and easier. By using this website you consent to our use of cookies. For more information, please see our Cookie Policy.