No. 16 ASU hockey avoids sweep at hands of No. 17 Harvard in SoCal Clash

ASU falls 4-1, ties 4-4 against No. 17 Harvard to move to 10-7-3 on the season

_20191102 Hockey vs Quinnipiac 0951.jpg

Sophomore defenseman Joshua Maniscalco (24) shoots the puck on Saturday, Nov. 2, 2019, at Oceanside Ice Arena in Tempe, Arizona.

The Sun Devil hockey team capped off 2019 with the SoCal Clash in Irvine, CA, against Harvard. No. 16 ASU lost once and tied to go 0-1-1 over the weekend.

Saturday

After a 21-day break, No. 17 Harvard came into California and snapped a four-game losing streak, defeating ASU 4-1 at Fivepoint Arena.

No. 17 Harvard began game one by scoring three unanswered goals within four minutes during the second period by Austin Wong, Jack Badini and Casey Dornbach.

After allowing three goals on 20 shots, goaltender Evan DeBrouwer was pulled following the second period. Backup graduate transfer Max Prawdzik played the final 20 minutes of play. 

Prawdzik made six saves but allowed one goal in the final period. 

Sun Devils' sophomore defenseman Joshua Maniscalco scored his sixth goal of the season while on the power-play just 40 seconds into the third period to get ASU on the board. Forward James Sanchez and defenseman Brinson Pasichnuk assisted on the lone ASU tally.

Harvard freshman goaltender and Washington Capitals prospect Mitchell Gibson made 43 saves on 44 shots as the Crimson picked up their sixth win of the season.

Sunday

After Saturday night's loss, the Sun Devils came into the second game of the series with some determination, but finished the game in a 4-4 tie with the Crimson following a scoreless five-minute overtime period.

Harvard picked up right where it left off, scoring three goals — two in the first period and one on the power play early in the second—to take their second 3-0 lead of the weekend.

ASU defenseman Josh Maniscalco scored for his second time of the series just 12 seconds after Harvards' third goal to cut the deficit to two.

Sophomore forward Austin Lemieux knocked home a rebound 64 seconds later on a shot from teammate Filips Buncis to reduce the lead to 3-2.

Crimson forward and Toronto Maple Leafs prospect Nick Abruzzese scored Harvard's fourth goal of the game midway through the second to regain a two-goal lead.

ASU goaltender Max Prawdzik, who relieved Evan DeBrouwer on Saturday night, got the start on Sunday and made 12 saves in the game. 

Prawdzik was pulled and replaced by DeBrouwer after Harvard scored its third goal of the game early into the second period.

Forward William Knierim scored just over five minutes into the final period to cut the deficit in half. PJ Marrocco scored his fifth goal of the season 7:14 into the third period to rally back to tie the score after being down 3-0.

After neither team was able to score a go-ahead goal, the game headed to overtime.

A scoreless overtime period resulted in ASU avoiding a sweep against Harvard, picking up its' third tie of the season. ASU stands at 10-7-3 on the season.

Following the neutral series in Irvine, ASU will return home to Oceanside Ice Arena for the first time since Dec. 6. The Sun Devils kick off 2020 as they host Michigan Tech (10-8-1, 8-6 WCHA) on Jan. 4 at 7:05 p.m. MST. 

Reach the reporter at aklatsky@asu.edu and follow @averyklatsky on Twitter. 

×