Top 5 Quinn XCII songs to get you pumped for Devilpalooza

Before you snag your tickets, get to know the headliner's top hits

Quinn XCII.png

Quinn XCII performs at music festival Osheaga on Friday, Aug. 3, 2018 in Montreal, Québec, Canada. 

Rae Sremmurd. T-Pain. Galantis

The past three years’ incarnations of Devilpalooza have lived up to the high expectations of lively crowds, talented performers and insane energy. 

Following this year’s artist announcement on Jan. 16, there was a mix of hype and confusion over the choice to have Quinn XCII to perform. 

Quinn XCII, born Mikael Temrowski, began writing and recording his own music in 2011 during his time at Michigan State University. He released his debut EP, "Change of Scenery," in 2015. Since then, Quinn XCII has put out one EP, two studio albums and various singles, with "From Michigan With Love" peaking at 90 on theBillboard 200 chart. 

For all those unfamiliar with the Detroit-born singer, including myself, here is your go-to guide to get informed and pumped before snagging your tickets to the must-see concert of the spring. 

'Love Me Less' 

This is arguably Quinn XCII’s most known song, gaining over 100 million streams on Spotify and reaching No. 1 on the Billboard Bubbling Under Hot 100 chart. He lends his rap skills to this fast-paced bop alongside singer-songwriter MAX. The soulful beats and occasional falsettos set this apart from most pop love songs today. You can’t help but start dancing whenever you hear the first piano chords strike. 

'Straightjacket' 

In honor of its namesake, this song speaks about being in a relationship with someone who acts one way in public but is completely different behind closed doors. Quinn XCII laments coming to the conclusion that his girlfriend, who he thought to be sweet, is actually out of her mind. Despite its dark message, the song sounds happy in its major key — soundboard taps and finger snaps included. 

'Stacy' 

Friends with benefits or no strings attached. Whatever you call it, this track explores the infamous compromise which always ends in heartbreak. Though "Stacy" clearly wants nothing to do with Quinn XCII, he seems to feel the opposite. Though he claims to be "over her," the listener definitely knows otherwise understanding the pain of just being a convenient hookup.

'Another Day in Paradise'

Even though he’s coming to the desert, Quinn XCII is bringing those beachy island vibes with this song. Comparing his relationship to paradise, the lyrics are full of sunny summertime imagery from vodka lemonades to crashing waves. If this is on the setlist, be prepared to live in the moment and just sway to the soft trumpets and drums. 

'Flare Guns' 

Loving someone isn’t always healthy, and in this song, Quinn XCII chronicles the temptation and missteps of infatuation. Even though he knows he shouldn’t reach out, he still does. This song is definitely for all the sad bois and girls out there who keep on getting hurt by love. Thanks to featured artist Chelsea Cutler’s sweet vocals, being in your feelings never sounded so melodic. 

Now go out and browse Quinn XCII’s entire discography. I know I did, and I can safely say I wasn’t disappointed. 

Reach the reporter at omunson@asu.edu and follow @munson_olivia on Twitter. 

Olivia Munson

Olivia Munson is a digital producer for The State Press. She previously served as editor of the publication's The Echo desk. In the past, she has worked for Arizona PBS, The Arizona Republic and The Entertainer! magazine. 

×