President Trump to host campaign rally in Phoenix

In an attempt to gain support for reelection, President Trump will host "Keep America Great" rally

20181019 trump rally arrival

President Donald J. Trump arrives for his rally alongside then-U.S. Senate candidate Martha McSally on Friday, Oct. 19, 2018, in Mesa, Arizona.

Phoenix's Veterans Memorial Coliseum will host President Donald Trump for a "Keep America Great" rally in his bid for reelection on Wednesday.

At his last rally in Manchester, New Hampshire, Trump convinced his fans to boo the media, led them in "lock her up" chants directed at Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.), discussed the impact of the coronavirus, criticized Sen. Mitt Romney (R-Utah) for his impeachment vote and brought up funding for the border wall. 

Trump has not made it clear what he will discuss at the upcoming rally. 

Cameron Adams, vice president of Young Democrats at ASU and sophomore studying global studies, said Trump's election "created a bigger interest in politics."

The Young Dems will not be present at the rally, but Adams said the rally has "raised tensions between political groups" on campus.

Trump's actions have had "somewhat of a polarizing effect," ASU College Libertarians President David Howman, a graduate student studying justice studies, said. 

Members of the ASU College Republicans agree that Trump's presidency has made people more vocal about politics. 

"(Trump) has a great ability to fire up the base here in Arizona," ASU College Republicans President Jeremiah Willett, a senior studying political science said. "The Republican party is more excited, more involved."

Willett, along with a few other members of College Republicans, will be present at the rally but the entire organization will not be there.

Students for Trump President Osama Alani, freshman studying genetics, cell and developmental biology, said the club was "excited" to attend the rally on Wednesday.

"We are very glad to see the number of young people involved in the political process and actually excited to vote in November," Alani said in an email. 

Since his election in 2016, the president has changed immigration and border policy, pardoned former Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio and nominated 5 federal judges in Arizona. 

In 2016, Trump carried Arizona by 3.5%, defeating Hillary Clinton to secure both a popular and electoral college victory in the state. 

The last time Trump came to Arizona was in October of 2018, where the president held a rally in Mesa to endorse then-candidate Martha McSally for the Senate seat vacated by John McCain. 

READ MORE: Trump revisits campaign talking points in rally for McSally, Republicans

The construction of the border wall, a 2016 campaign promise by the president, has come under scrutiny in Arizona for the impact on the environment.

While illegal immigration has been one of the prime concerns for Trump, and one that resinates with many of his supporters, it is difficult to understand how big the issue is based strictly on numbers.

The Trump administration has decreased illegal border crossings, although opposition to the president has been critical of how the administration has achieved this goal. 

The partisan effects of impeachment acquittal and Ukraine affairs have been felt at ASU as well. 

Reach the reporters at pjhanse1@asu.edu or deharker@asu.edu and follow @piperjhansen and @HarkerZeke on Twitter.

Piper HansenDigital Editor-in-Chief

Piper Hansen is the digital editor-in-chief at The State Press, overseeing all digital content. Joining SP in Spring 2020, she has covered student government, housing and COVID-19. She has previously written about state politics for The Arizona Republic and the Arizona Capitol Times and covers social justice for Cronkite News.

×