ASU hockey capitalizes on power-plays in win over Robert Morris 5-4

The Sun Devils' offense scored four goals in the second period

20200201 Hockey vs Robert Morris 0021

Now-seniors Johnny Walker (7) and Willie Knierim (29) celebrate after a goal against Robert Morris in a 5-4 win on Saturday, Feb. 1, 2020, at Oceanside Ice Arena in Tempe.

No. 12 ASU hockey had only converted 16% of their power-play opportunities coming into Saturday night's game, but a perfect showing in that area was the catalyst to a 5-4 victory over Robert Morris.

The Sun Devils (18-9-3) took an early 1-0 lead thanks to one of those power-play goals from  junior forward Johnny Walker.

Robert Morris found the net twice in the first 54 seconds of the second period, with shots from senior forward Daniel Mantenuto and junior forward Nick Prkusic to take the lead.

The Sun Devils added two quick goals later in the second period, as senior defenseman Brinson Pasichnuk and Walker both scored on power-plays to take a 3-2 lead for the Sun Devils.

"Point shots just finally started to go in. We have been successful all year getting pucks on net and rebounds just lying there," Pasichnuk said. "I think this weekend, it finally happened. And you are now kind of seeing us go off a little bit and hopefully that continues all year." 

The second period scoring frenzy continued as the Sun Devils scored their first even-strength goal of the game from junior defensemen Gvido Jansons.

The scoring was capped off by junior forward Willie Knierim, who scored to give the team a 5-2 lead.

"I like how our guys responded," ASU head coach Greg Powers said. "They came right out and punched us in the mouth, boom boom, right in the second, and our guys never looked back." 

Robert Morris (9-14-3, 9-8-3 AHA) would not go down quietly, scoring one last second period goal, capping off the period 5-3.

In the first minute of the third period,  a score from Robert Morris' Brendon Michaelian cut ASU's lead to 5-4.

The Sun Devils began to play keep away from the Colonials late in the third. A last ditch effort of pulling the goalie from the Colonials failed, as the Sun Devils skated away with a 5-4 victory.  

ASU swept Robert Morris this weekend and look to continue their winning ways when they take on Holy Cross Feb. 7 at 5:05 p.m. MST in Worcester, Massachusetts.

Reach the reporter at kbdyer2@asu.edu and follow @TheKamDyer on Twitter.

×