ASU softball drops third straight game in Mary Nutter Collegiate Classic

The Sun Devil offense stalls in loss to Cal State Fullerton

20200214 Softball vs Kentucky 0028

The ASU softball team and University of Kentucky softball team line up to high five after an ASU victory over Kentucky on Friday, Feb. 14, 2020, at Alberta B. Farrington Softball Stadium in Tempe.

The No. 16 Sun Devils' Saturday struggles carried over to Sunday in a 4-3 loss to Cal State Fullerton.

Once again, the Sun Devil (12-5) bats did not provide the type of run support that their stellar pitching needed to get the win.

Junior pitcher Madison Preston pitched 3.1 innings, struck out seven and gave up four earned runs. Redshirt senior pitcher Cielo Meza closed the game, striking out 8 and giving up no runs.

ASU struck first in the third inning when freshman shortstop Alynah Torres knocked in senior center fielder Kindra Hackbarth on a single to left field. The lead would not last long. 

With runners in scoring position in the fourth inning, Cal State Fullerton's (8-5) sophomore first baseman Daisy Munoz doubled down the right field line, knocking in two runs. 

Later in the same inning, the Titans added what would be their last two runs in the game with a single from senior right fielder Kelsie Whitmore and a passed ball.

The Sun Devils chipped away over the course of the final three innings but could not finish the job.

Senior catcher Maddi Hackbarth closed the gap with a solo home run to left field in the fifth inning.

In the sixth inning, sophomore pinch runner Mailey Mclemore scored on a sacrifice fly from freshman pinch hitter Jordyn Vanhook.

Heading into the bottom of the seventh inning, the Sun Devils were down one run. Two ground outs and a flyout ended the Sun Devil hopes of a comeback.

ASU will look to end this three-game skid on Friday, when the Sun Devils return home to play Maryland and Wisconsin in the first day of the Sun Devil Classic. 

Reach the reporter at cfahrend@asu.edu and follow @chris_drop_ on Twitter.

×