The Cottages of Tempe, a popular housing option for ASU students, has confirmed that a resident is under quarantine after testing positive for COVID-19. 

The apartment's general manager ReAnna Batiste said to residents in an email this afternoon that Cottages staff has confirmed the person started self-quarantining after symptoms appeared, and they have not been to the leasing office or any common areas since March 17. 

Batiste's statement also said residents who live near the affected person's apartment were separately notified beforehand.

"In light of this development, and in accordance with guidance provided by the CDC, we have taken and are taking additional precautions in our efforts to minimize the risk to all residents and management team members in the community," Batiste said in the email to residents. 

Batiste also urged residents who experience symptoms for COVID-19 such as fever, cough or shortness of breath to contact their medical provider and consider getting tested for the virus. 

This comes after the Arizona Department of Health Services and the Maricopa County Department of Public Health confirmed the first death from the new coronavirus in Arizona. They said the man was in his 50s and he had underlying health conditions.  

Phoenix Mayor Kate Gallego said on Twitter that the man was an employee of Phoenix Sky Harbor Airport

According to ADHS, there are 104 cases of COVID-19 in Arizona. The organization describes the community risk as "increasing with some areas of heightened risk," and community spread is considered moderate. 

Reach the reporter at gmlieber@asu.edu and follow @G_Mira_ on Twitter. 

Like The State Press on Facebook and follow @statepress on Twitter. 

×