COVID-19 cases in Arizona rose to 20 Tuesday morning, the Arizona Department of Health Services announced on its website.

The two new cases include a male in his 50s who is recovering at his home in self-isolation, and a female in her 60s who is hospitalized, a press release from the Maricopa County Department of Public Health said.

Phoenix Mayor Kate Gallego declared a state of emergency on Tuesday afternoon and mandated the closure of bars and shifting restaurants to take-out or drive-thru only.

Tucson will also be declaring an emergency, Gallego said in a tweet.

ADHS also updated its recommendations for citizens to minimize the spread of COVID-19, also known as coronavirus.

The update recommends that any household with a confirmed case of coronavirus self-isolate the entire family in their homes and contact their medical provider. 

ADHS also "strongly recommends" that establishments in known areas with community spread, which are currently Maricopa, Pima and Pinal counties, to "discourage dine-in traffic and instead provide curbside pick up/drive-through service," for customers.

AZDHS also said that where dine-in options are still offered, businesses should accommodate social distancing measures by seating customers at least 6 feet apart from one another. The organization also instructed restaurants to create social distancing protocols for their employees and ensure frequent hand washing.  

On Tuesday, U.S. Secretary of the Treasury Steven Mnuchin, said the White House was looking to work with Congress to approve sending cash payments directly to Americans to provide financial support amidst the economic downturn the country is facing from COVID-19.

President Trump also announced that his administration would be seeking approval from Congress to provide $850 billion in additional stimulus to support the economy. 

READ MORE: Q&A: COVID-19 and Arizona's economy

According to the NY Times, there are now over 5,000 cases of COVID-19 in the U.S. with at least 93 deaths.

Tuesday, the markets picked up after historic drops, with the S&P 500 and Nasdaq Composite both rising at above 4% according to the Wall Street Journal.

Reach the reporters at wmyskow@asu.edu and gmlieber@asu.edu and follow @wmyskow and @G_Mira_ on Twitter. 

Wyatt MyskowProject Manager

Wyatt Myskow is the project manager at The State Press, where he oversees enterprise stories for the publication. He also works at The Arizona Republic, where he covers the cities of Peoria and Surprise.

×