Sonya Forte Duhé named new dean of Cronkite School

The longtime Loyola professor will replace founding dean Christopher Callahan

cronkite stock 2019

ASU's Walter Cronkite School of Journalism and Mass Communication building is pictured on Wednesday, March 20, 2019, on the downtown campus. 

Sonya Forte Duhé was named as the new dean of the Walter Cronkite School of Journalism and Mass Communication on Friday.

The school began its search to replace founding Dean and University Vice Provost Christopher Callahan, who is leaving to become president of the University of the Pacific in California.

Her position as dean at the Cronkite School also makes Duhé the CEO of Arizona PBS, which is located within the school's building. She will begin her new role as dean in July. 

Duhé is coming to ASU following a long career as director of the School of Communication and Design at Loyola University New Orleans, and she is credited with improving the communications program significantly during her tenure by incorporating the school's multimedia department. 

READ MORE: Final four Cronkite School dean candidates visit students, faculty

She earned her undergraduate, masters and Ph.D. in journalism, and Duhé has also worked as a news anchor and professor at the University of Missouri before going to Loyola. 

“I cannot think of a more important and exciting time in journalism and mass communication education than now,” said Duhé in a press release. “It plays such a vital role in our democracy. I cannot think of another profession I would rather be in at this time.”

Reach the reporter at gmlieber@asu.edu or follow @G_Mira_ on Twitter. 

×