Pac-12 cancels 2020 men's basketball tournament and all competitions

The conference released a statement Thursday morning following the first round of games

20200311 NCAA Coronavirus 0005

The Pac-12 logo, along with star players from Pac-12 schools, is displayed outside T-Mobile Arena on Wednesday, March 11, 2020, in Las Vegas.

The Pac-12 announced Thursday morning that it is canceling the remainder of its 2020 men’s basketball tournament and all other Pac-12 sports competitions, effective immediately.

"This decision has been made in consultation with our member universities in an effort to limit the spread of the virus and in the interest of the health and safety of our student-athletes, campus personnel, working and event personnel, and all those who attend the Pac-12 events," the conference said in a prepared statement. 

The cancellation is the latest in a string of sporting events that have been postponed, moved or called off due to the spread of COVID-19. 

Before officially cancelling the tournament, the Pac-12 released a statement on Wednesday specifying only essential staff, TV network partners, credentialed media and limited family and friends would be able to attend.

Further developments have prompted the conference to cancel the event altogether.

Along with the conference, ASU athletics also decided to cancel, "all sport competitions, effective immediately, until further notice" in a statement released by the department Thursday afternoon.

"This decision has been made in consultation with other Pac-12 member universities in an effort to limit the spread of the COVID-19 and in the interest of the health and safety of our student-athletes, campus personnel, working and event personnel, and all those who attend Pac-12 events," the statement said.

Editor’s Note: This story was updated at 11:10 a.m. to include a comment from Sun Devil Athletics. 

Reach the reporter at hcroton@asu.edu or follow @thecrote on Twitter.

×