The long history of police brutality covered in music

Over the past 60 years, musicians have shed light on the ongoing police brutality against Black communities

dam_foote_historyofmusic-01.jpg

"Black artists have recorded their experiences with protests and activism. There is a consistent issue of police brutality through the decades." Illustration published Thursday, June 18, 2020.

The protests in wake of police officers killing George Floyd on May 25 spread across the nation as activists raised awareness of the long-standing experience of police brutality against Black people in America. 

Music written over the past 60 years offers a look at the consistency of police brutality — and activism — in America. From Marvin Gaye to N.W.A. to Childish Gambino, these artists addressed police violence in their respective eras.

There is a long history of police officers racially profiling and killing Black individuals in the United States. This timeline is a small sample of songs written over the past 60 years that demonstrate the consistency of activism as police brutality continues. From Marvin Gaye to N.W.A. to Childish Gambino, these artists addressed police violence in their respective eras.

Reach the reporter at hfoote1@asu.edu and follow @foote_hannah on Twitter. 

Like State Press on Facebook and follow @statepress on Twitter.

×