This week in events: Celebrate Hispanic Heritage Month across metropolitan Phoenix

ASU and other businesses are offering a variety of virtual events this week celebrating Hispanic culture

green_kobley_9-27_hispanicheritageweek.jpeg

"ASU is hosting virtual events in celebration of Hispanic Heritage Month that'll take place from Sept. 15 to Oct. 15.” Illustration published on Monday, Sept. 28, 2020.

This week, students and outside guests will have the opportunity to attend events across metro Phoenix, either in person or virtually, in celebration of Hispanic Heritage Month, which spans Sept. 15 to Oct. 15.

Andrea Ramirez, a sophomore and president of ASU club Parados Juntos, a club promoting education about Latinx and Hispanic culture through education and community service, said the month is an important time to share her culture with others. 

“The most important part of Hispanic Heritage Month for me is the opportunity to have visibility in order to be able to share our culture, food music, honor and everything that we love about where we come from, and not be afraid of spreading it to people who aren’t necessarily exposed to it in their everyday lives,” Ramirez said. 

Register for ASU's Hispanic Heritage Month events here

Tuesday, Sept. 29

From 12:30 p.m. to 3 p.m., Eric Garcia, a professional political cartoonist, will discuss the impact of art in the Latinx community and provide a mini workshop on creating cartoons on Zoom.

At participating Harkins locations across the Valley, theaters will be showing "How to Be a Latin Lover" for a discounted price of $5 until Thursday, Oct. 1. 

Wednesday, Sept. 30

From 4 p.m. to 5:30 p.m., Gabriella Soto, an archeological anthropologist of migration and the U.S.-Mexico borderlands, will give a lecture on Zoom about the anthropology of body counts in the pandemic and deaths at the hands of police as part of the Barrett Faculty Series.

From 6 p.m. to 7:30 p.m., there will be a Zoom discussion about the history and evolution of voting in Hispanic and Latinx communities and ways to stay politically involved and active through the pandemic.

Also from 6 p.m. to 7:30 p.m., a panel of four artists who have collaborated on the Binational Arts Residency will discuss feminist art at the U.S.-Mexico border on Zoom.

“I think this is such an important month in the sense of centering people and culture, but also highlighting the importance that this should be centered every day, not just for one month," said Carolina Aranibar-Fernández, one of the panelists. "Especially in places where Hispanics make up a significant portion of the population.” 

From 6:30 p.m. to 8 p.m., alumni and students will discuss Hispanic and Latinx participation and representation in STEM on Zoom.

Thursday, Oct. 1

From 10:30 a.m. to noon, a panel on Zoom will discuss how shared querencias, or places where strength is drawn from, inform Chicanx and Indigenous scholars' and activists' work.

From 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m., the first day of the three-day 13th Gathering of Ibero-American Writers in the United States will begin on Zoom, including a tribute to the late David Alberto Muñoz by Manuel Murrieta-Saldívar.

From 5 p.m. to 7 p.m., a representative from Living United for Change in Arizona will discuss the history of Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals on Zoom. 

Friday, Oct. 2

From 1 p.m. to 2 p.m., Juliet Hooker, a professor of political science at Brown University, will discuss the removal of racist monuments and different forms of political loss on Zoom.

From 3 p.m. to 8:30 p.m., day two of the 13th Gathering of Ibero-American Writers in the United States will feature discussion panels, visual art galleries and music.

From 4:30 p.m. to 6 p.m., Dance FX Studios will give a virtual beginner's lesson on Bachata dance. 

From 5 p.m. to 7 p.m., Tucson artist Elda De La Ossa will guide participants in creating a silhouette painting of Frida Kahlo in a virtual Paint and Sip Night.

At participating Harkins locations across the Valley, theaters will be showing "La Bamba" for a discounted price of $5.

Friday also begins the second weekend of the Ingenio festival, featuring three readings of new plays by Latinx playwrights as a "celebration of resilience," according to Milagro Theatre's website. 

Saturday, Oct. 3

From 11 a.m. to 7:30 p.m., the final day of the 13th Gathering of Ibero-American Writers in the United States will feature Q&A panels, music and a film screening of "Lupe bajo el sol."

The Scottsdale Center for the Performing Arts will host a Flamenco music and dance performance at 8 p.m. Tickets start at $26.

The Fair Trade Café in Phoenix will have a soft opening for the art exhibit “La Aparición de nuestros Ancestros” from 3 p.m. to 5 p.m. The exhibit will be open through Oct. 31.

Reach the reporter at lkobley@asu.edu and follow @LKobley on Twitter.

Lauren KobleyCommunity Reporter

Lauren Kobley is a reporter for the Community and Culture desk at The State Press. She has previously interned with the Fountain Hills Times. 

×