Elevate your mask game with these fashion trends

Echo writer Vaishalini Sitaraman shares her top fall trends and styling advice for masks

Jack_Strevler_VaishaliniSitaraman_929_MaskFashion.jpg

"Masks might be the new norm, but mask fashion has existed before the pandemic." Illustration published on Tuesday, Sept. 29, 2020.

Masks may have only become a necessity this year, but they’ve been featured on runways before 2020, even being featured on Givenchy's spring 2014 collection.

Check out these trends and styling ideas to step up your mask game. Keep CDC guidelines in mind when looking for and wearing your trendy new face masks, including having the mask completely cover your nose and mouth, fit tight against the side of your face and have no gaps or vents as part of the mask.

Safety should always come first when selecting a facial cover.

Tied Silk and Satin Masks

Richard Quinn has featured face coverings in his collections since his inaugural collection. His oversized satin face-coverings in his fall 2019 collection would be beautiful if fashioned into a face mask. 

Also, multiple recent studies have shown silk masks are effective against COVID-19.

ASU students can try these affordable options from Blissy and Etsy.

Try out these styling options for your new mask: 

Jeweled Masks

Let’s take it back to Givenchy’s spring 2014 show for this mask trend. Rapper Future took a stab at the jeweled mask trend on the 2017 BET red carpet, and Ariana Grande posed for a mirror selfie with a more casual version last month. 

Try this sequined mask from Forever 21 to get the look without the $48 million Grande made last year.

Leather Masks

Take inspiration from a classic fall trend for a leather mask. Grab a couple in different colors, such as black, brown and beige, to match your fall boots and coats. Leather masks are the cherry on top of your monochrome fall outfits.

ASU students can try this sleek option from Etsy.

Try these styling options for your new mask: 

Patterned or Monogrammed Masks

Billie Eilish stunned on the Grammy red carpet in January with her monogrammed Gucci face mask, and you can too. This trend can be easily made with some rhinestones and sheer fabric to layer over your face mask. You can also try a custom mask from Etsy.

Try out these styling options with your new mask: 

Art Masks

Artist Ai Weiwei partnered with eBay to create artwork on standard face masks to fundraise for COVID-19 relief efforts. The fundraiser seems to be over, but you can recreate this look with some nontoxic markers or pens and a surgical mask

This is perfect for makeup lovers who aren’t able to express themselves when half their face is covered with a mask. Now you can create beautiful looks over your face mask.

Reach the reporter at vaishalini@asu.edu and follow @thevaishalini on Twitter.

Like The State Press on Facebook and follow @statepress on Twitter.

×