Police investigating racial slur written in graffiti near ASU Gammage

The graffiti has since been removed, and no suspects have been identified for the crime

The ASU Police Department is investigating who may have left a racial slur written in graffiti near ASU Gammage last Friday, a spokesperson for the department said.

The graffiti, found on the sidewalk near Apache Boulevard and Mill Avenue, has since been removed.

"As an inclusive institution, we condemn any racist activity or symbolism in all its forms," a University spokesperson said in an emailed statement. "If any individuals involved are affiliated with the university, they will be held accountable for their actions."

ASU's Black African Coalition issued a statement in response to the incident condemning the writing and detailing the resources available to students if similar incidences occur in the future.

Students can contact the Dean of Students office if they have concerns or information on any incident. Other resources the BAC statement listed include where to file a report of misconduct, the ASU Hotline to report activities anonymously and ASU Counseling Services

"The BAC recognizes that due to the upcoming election that tensions may rise, and it is very likely that incidents like this will continue to happen around our campuses and the surrounding area," the coalition wrote in the statement. "It is important that our students feel comfortable, safe, and wanted at Arizona State University. 

"The Black African Coalition commits itself to ensuring the safety and well-being of all Black students here at ASU."

The BAC statement said video footage of the surrounding area will be used in the investigation. 

ASU police spokesperson Adam Wolfe said in an email the department will use all available methods to identify the parties who committed the crime. Wolfe was "unable to confirm specifics of the investigation."

Wolfe said in an email, "we are disgusted by the blatant act of racism reported to us on Friday, and this type of behavior is not tolerated" by the department.

"We are proud of the inclusive nature of our university, and are fully investigating this incident," Wolfe added.

Anyone with more information can contact ASU PD at 480-965-3456.

Reach the reporter at wmyskow@asu.edu and follow @wmyskow on Twitter. 

Get the best of State Press delivered straight to your inbox.

×

This website uses cookies to make your expierence better and easier. By using this website you consent to our use of cookies. For more information, please see our Cookie Policy.