ASU football preview: Offense

The Sun Devils possess versatility and young talent in Zak Hill's offense

Sun Bowl Feature
ASU freshman quarterback Jayden Daniels (5) holds the Sun Bowl trophy after defeating Florida State on Tuesday, Dec. 31, 2019, at Sun Bowl Stadium in El Paso, Texas.

ASU sophomore quarterback Jayden Daniels’ 81-yard touchdown pass against No. 6 Oregon last season is a highlight that may be shown at Sun Devil Stadium for years to come. 

But in 2019, the Sun Devils left a lot to be desired on offense aside from Daniels’ impressive plays and performances in his freshman season. ASU’s 24.8 points per game were only good for 96th out of 130 teams in the FBS. The team struggled to run the ball consistently or convert on third downs.

However, the sophomore is surrounded by new playmakers and a fresh mind at the helm this year. Offensive coordinator Zak Hill, previously at Boise State, has built an offense around his young quarterback’s skill set. ASU’s defensive players have said that Hill's scheme is tough to match up with. 

Hill’s unit at Boise State totaled 429.4 yards per game last season. In comparison, ASU’s averaged 372.1 yards per game. 

“With all the shifts and motions, defenses are going to have to look and talk," graduate student wide receiver Frank Darby said.

Darby says that ASU's new offense is a pro-style system with an up-tempo pace and complex audibles. He likes that Hill's offense requires the unit to read the defense and react, instead of calling out a play in the huddle before the opposition sets up. 

“Confidence is high,” Daniels said. “I trust what coach Hill is doing with the offense. I trust the guys around me to make plays. I know they trust me to do what I have to do.”

Jayden Daniels 

Daniels took the quarterback job last year as a true freshman and left ASU's coaching staff with no doubts. His composure for a young player was praised throughout the year, and he showed discipline in multiple aspects. 

For one, Daniels rarely turned the ball over, throwing just two interceptions in 338 pass attempts. 

The sophomore's dual-threat ability opened up the Sun Devils offense. Last season, Daniels rushed for over 350 yards and threw for nearly 3,000 yards in 12 games played. 

Entering year two, Daniels' teammates have pointed out that he's gained some muscle this offseason. Even with the change in build, the biggest difference for Daniels this year is the offense will be built around him. 

“He’s tailored this offense around me,” Daniels said of Hill. “He asks me what I like, what I want to run and he’s going back to the film to see what works best for me, and what best fits for me.”

Wide receivers and tight ends

Darby is the only remaining Sun Devil on the roster who caught more than 10 passes last season. He recorded 31 catches with eight touchdowns a year ago and is expected to be Daniels' top target this year. 

Darby has called the young corps "different" compared to previous years, saying it is "the best wide receiver group I've been around." 

“They work harder, they compete at a different level," Darby said. "I try to get them to keep competing and keep competing."

Two freshmen, Johnny Wilson and LV Bunkley-Shelton, are listed starters on the depth chart.

“Both of those guys came in and took ownership,” ASU receivers coach Prentice Gill said. “They are exactly what we need to push this group. They are dynamic in their own ways.”

Standing at 6-foot-7, Gill called Wilson a matchup problem since he is too fast for linebackers and too big for defensive backs. Wilson is listed at the "Z" position, one of two outside receivers, but could also play in the slot.

Gill said that Bunkley-Shelton, listed in the slot, has exceeded developmental expectations to this point.

Alongside the newcomers will be a slew of receivers ASU had in the wings from last season.

Sophomore Ricky Pearsall is a starter after he caught just seven passes last year. Redshirt sophomore Geordon Porter is listed as a co-starter with Wilson and redshirt freshman Andre Johnson is behind Darby on the depth chart. All three of them have improved considerably, according to multiple coaches throughout the offseason. 

“My goal is that we don’t just have one special guy,” Gill said.

ASU didn’t incorporate tight ends in the passing game often last year. But during camp this fall, Darby said that the tight ends have been getting more love now than in recent years. 

Senior tight end Curtis Hodges and sophomore tight end and captain Case Hatch could see some more action on offense this season in both pass-catching and blocking roles.

“I see a lot of growth from (Hodges) last year,” Daniels said. “He makes tough catches, using that long frame that he has.”

Running backs

The Sun Devils averaged 3.5 yards per carry last season despite running the ball on more than half of its offensive snaps. Only 11 FBS teams had a lower average. 

But this season, ASU has three new running backs who each bring unique skillsets to the table. 

Junior running back Rachaad White comes to ASU as a junior college transfer from Mt. San Antonio College, while running backs Daniyel Ngata and DeaMonte “Chip” Trayanum are freshmen. 

White is taller with “smooth” movements, as Daniels described it. Trayanum is a power back at 230 pounds while Ngata is smaller at 5-foot-9 and quick.  

White and Trayanum are listed as starters, but Hill said the plan is to work them by committee. 

“So many young guys, you’re going to give them an opportunity to play and as this goes, we’ll find out who’s who and see how it goes," ASU head coach Herm Edwards said regarding the numerous competitions throughout the team. I think by Week 3, we'll have a good idea of what it looks like.”

Offensive Line 

Part of the reason ASU’s run game stalled last year was because of an inconsistent offensive line. Injuries and multiple 2018 starters graduating left the Sun Devils' line with moving parts and freshmen starters. 

Two sophomores, guard Dohnovan West and tackle LaDarius Henderson, pushed through growing pains last season as freshmen to become standout linemen. So to help out, ASU brought in a couple of transfers to help fill in the holes.

Left tackle Kellen Diesch from Texas A&M and guard Henry Hattis from Stanford add needed experience to the line, with both being graduate transfers. Diesch played in 12 games last year while Hattis started six for the Cardinal before an injury kept him out the rest of the way.

Graduate student Cade Cote is back at center after injuries held him to just three games last year, and redshirt freshman Ben Scott has worked his way up to starting right tackle, beating out Henderson in camp. 

“He got a lot of reps on the scout team and got some coaching,” ASU offensive line coach Dave Christensen said of Scott. “He has great athleticism and understands football.”

Depth chart

On Monday, ASU released its depth charts for Week 1 at No. 20 USC. Here are the starters for the offense:

The Sun Devils' first game against the Trojans will kick-off from the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum at 10 a.m. MST.

Reach the reporter at alexjweiner@gmail.com and follow @alexjweiner on Twitter.

×