Devils Prospects: Baseball verbal commit follows in father's footsteps

Will Rogers, a former Team USA development player and ASU verbal commit, hopes to start a baseball academy after having a career

nghi_tran_asu_recruiting.jpg

"Devils Prospects: Promising players found by ASU recruiting." Illustration published on Monday, Sept. 14, 2020.

For ASU baseball recruit Will Rogers, baseball isn't just a game, it runs in the family. 

Rogers' father, Travis, introduced him to the game as a player and coach himself.

"My dad is my biggest inspiration in the game of baseball," Rogers said. "He's a trainer, my main coach and my father so I train with him."

Rogers credits his father for making him the player he is today — he played baseball at New Mexico State University.

Beyond training his son for a career on the field, Rogers' father also put his son in a Spanish immersion school, from first grade until fifth grade, where he learned how to speak Spanish. The 17-year-old from Shoreview, Minnesota is now nearly fluent.

Rogers plans on minoring in Spanish at ASU and wants to use his platform in baseball and education to open up a baseball academy for low-income athletes.

"I think I would want to do something with sports management." Rogers said. "After college I want to do something with Latin American players coming to the U.S., maybe create a school or baseball academy for them to come and learn."

Former high school teammate Ike Mezzenga said Rogers' skills and attitude will help him reach his goals. 

"Will has great vocal skills when it comes to teaching younger players," Mezzenga said. "With all the attention he is getting, he will continue to be a person that young kids and less fortunate players could look up to. Having him be bilingual will help him connect with the Latin American players."

University of Minnesota outfielder and former high school teammate Brett Bateman said he "know(s) he can succeed."

"Will is one of the hardest workers I know," Bateman said. "When he puts his mind to something, he won't stop until he gets it."

Rogers attends Mounds View High School in Arden Hills, Minnesota. He is currently the No. 1 baseball player in the class of 2021 from Minnesota, according to Perfect Game. 

Rogers also played on the 16U National Team Development Program for Team USA in 2019. 

"Playing for Team USA was one of the greatest experiences of my life," Rogers said. "I got to play against other really good players and learn from the amazing coaches."

Rogers did not get recruited until the summer of his sophomore year. His first offer was from the University of Minnesota, and from there Rogers got more offers as he started to travel around the country for baseball tournaments.

Rogers had five offers from baseball programs across the country and had official visits with Texas A&M and ASU. After his official visit with ASU, Rogers said he could not see himself playing elsewhere. 

"I went out for a visit to Arizona State and loved it there," Rogers said. "After the visits with A&M and ASU, I felt like I didn't need to visit anywhere else."

According to Perfect Game, Rogers is the No. 1 ranked catcher in the state of Minnesota. He also plays third base, outfield and can feature on the mound as a right handed pitcher. 

Rogers announced his verbal commitment to play for ASU on Sept. 25, 2019.

Even though Rogers wants to open up a baseball academy after he graduates, his eyes are still set on having a playing career of his own.

"I cried when I first got my offer, just because it was such a dream," Rogers said. "It is a really big deal to me, I hope that I can one day make it to the majors and be on the Yankees."

Reach the reporters lhertz@asu.edu and oliviaeisenhauersports@gmail.com and follow @laurenrachell_ and @o_eisenhauer on Twitter. 

×