ASU volleyball swept by Washington State in second series of the season

The Sun Devils have lost three matches in a row

ASU Volleyball

ASU senior outside hitter Alyse Ford (2) spikes the ball in a game against Washington State at Wells Fargo Arena in Tempe, on Friday, Oct. 5, 2018.

ASU volleyball has lost its last three matches this season after getting swept by Washington State in the team's second series of the year. 

Thursday's to Washington State

In ASU's first game of the series, sophomore outside hitter Iman Isanovic led the way with 22 kills, eight digs and three blocks. Freshman outside hitter Marta Levinska recorded nine kills and sophomore middle blocker Kennedi Boyd added seven blocks.

The Sun Devils began the first set on a 3-0 run. After a Washington State service error and attack error, ASU took a 5-1 lead. 

ASU went on a 5-0 run to make the score 21-13 and won the first set 25-17. The Cougars never had a run greater than two points.

After an ASU run of 3-0 made the score 21-17 in the second set, Washington State rallied back with a 6-0 run of its own and took a 23-21 lead. The Sun Devils tied the set at 23-23, but Washington State won the second set 26-24.

The third set was all Washington State. The Cougars went on two 6-0 runs and dominated the Sun Devils and won the set 25-10. 

ASU and Washington State played the fourth set tight, with neither team gaining a lead of more than four points despite ASU's 8-0 run midway through the set.

The Cougars took a 23-21 lead after a service ace from sophomore middle blocker Magda Jehlarova. After Jehlarova’s ace, ASU went on a 4-0 run to win the fourth set. 

In the fifth set, Washington State jumped out to a 3-0 lead, But ASU later responded with a 4-0 run of its own to take a 7-5 lead. The game went back and forth until the very end. Washington State scored the final two points of the set and won the fifth set 16-14 to take the match.

Saturday's loss to the Cougars

In the second game of the series Isanovic led the Sun Devils with 16 kills and 12 digs, Levinska added 13 kills and 8 digs and junior outside hitter Maddie McLaughlin notched 8 kills. 

"We couldn't get our offense going," ASU head coach Sanja Tomasevic said.

Levinska and Isanovic had a combined 13 balls blocked at the net, according to coach Tomasevic.

"Our mental state needs to be locked in," freshman setter Ella Snyder said. Snyder racked up seven digs and a team-leading 36 assists. The team totaled 41 assists.

A total of seven runs of more than three points occurred in the first set with ASU striking first with a run of 3-0. 

Washington State later responded with a 3-0 run of its own to make the score 7-5. ASU went on another 3-0 run, and the Cougars responded with a 4-0 run. After two separate runs of 4-0 later in the set, the Sun Devils won the set 25-22.

ASU started the second set with a 4-1 run, but the Sun Devils' momentum did not continue. Washington State's 5-0 run made the score 7-5. The Cougars went on a 14-5 run and won the second set 25-16.

Washington State started the third set on runs of 5-0 and 3-0 to jump out to a 12-7 lead. ASU responded with a 3-0 run to make the score 12-10. 

The Cougars would not let the Sun Devils rally back, as they scored 10 of the set’s final 12 points to win the third set 25-16. 

In the fourth set, Washington State went on a late 5-0 run to make the score 20-15. Shortly after, ASU's 3-0 run cut the Washington State’s lead to two points, 21-19. Despite the Sun Devil’s best effort, the Cougars ended the match on a 4-0 run to clinch the victory.  

ASU's will take on Utah in its next series on Feb. 5 at 3 p.m. and Feb. 7 at 1 p.m. 

Reach the reporter at njpietrz@asu.edu and follow @NPietrzycki on Twitter. 

×