Two ASU wrestlers pick up wins in individual round-robin against Utah Valley and Wyoming

In their first action since Jan. 8, Cohlton Schultz and Julian Chlebove collectively won four bouts

Schultz beyer

Redshirt freshman heavyweight wrestler Cohlton Schultz pins Little Rock wrestler Gabriel Beyer in Desert Financial Arena in Tempe on Saturday Jan. 2, 2021. Schultz won his bout against Beyer 2-0.

After having to cancel last week's quad-dual meet, No. 9 ASU wrestling got back onto the mat Saturday in a round-robin tournament against Utah Valley and Wyoming in Orem, Utah.

ASU (2-0) could only take a partial team to Utah due to "COVID-19 protocol," according to head coach Zeke Jones. However, two wrestlers were able to get onto the mat: heavyweight redshirt freshman Cohlton Schultz and 141-pound redshirt freshman Julian Chlebove.

As opposed to a regular dual, which typically features 10 matches adding up to a total team score, individuals competed in bracket tournaments in their respective weight classes, with a champion being crowned in each weight class.

Schultz went 3-0 on the day and was crowned the 285-pound champion, defeating Utah Valley redshirt sophomore Chase Trussell and Wyoming senior Brian Andrews and sophomore Brooks Baker. With the 3-0 day, Schultz went to 6-0 on the season.

Chlebove went 1-2 on the day, with his victory coming against Wyoming freshman Darren Green. Chlebove is now 2-3 on the season.

ASU takes on Oregon State next in Corvallis, Oregon, on Jan. 30, followed by an 11-day break before a home match on Feb. 11 versus Cal Poly.

Reach the reporter at dmwilhe1@asu.edu and follow @dmwilhelm225 on Twitter.

×