ASU's Chi Phi fraternity chapter loses recognition

After the the University Interfraternity Council announced the fraternity would lose recognition, ASU's Chi Phi chapter called it 'FAKE NEWS' on Instagram

GLV 1.jpg

The courtyard of Greek Leader Ship Village on Tempe campus is pictured on Friday, Jan. 19, 2021. At least four Greek organizations at ASU have been put on interim suspension for possible COVID-19 violations.

Chi Phi fraternity at ASU lost its national and University recognition on Feb. 4, according to an Instagram post from ASU's Interfraternity Council (IFC) on Friday.

The IFC executive board followed the decision by Chi Phi International to revoke the status of the ASU chapter, but it did not specify why the chapter lost recognition. Chi Phi International did not respond to request for comment.

ASU's Chi Phi’s chapter did not respond to a request for comment, but it reposted the IFC announcement about the fraternity's status to its Instagram story with the words "FAKE NEWS" written above it.

Screenshot taken on Friday, Feb. 12, 2021 of ASU's Chi Phi chapter fraternity's Instagram story.

According to the "Fraternity Life" section on ASU’s website, an unrecognized fraternity is no longer associated with the University, cannot participate in any University-sponsored events or activities and cannot utilize any property owned by the University.

ASU revokes recognition of fraternities when there are "significant and serious concerns over the health and safety of our students and university community, and the University would strongly discourage maintaining or seeking membership in these organizations," according to the University's website on fraternity life.

This announcement comes just four months after ASU suspended its Kappa Sigma fraternity chapter following a lawsuit filed in September 2020 detailing severe hazing of potential new members. The lawsuit alleges one individual was diagnosed with diabetes as a result of the hazing.

READ MORE: Lawsuit details severe hazing by ASU Kappa Sigma fraternity

ASU's chapter of Sigma Phi Epsilon was closed in December 2019 after an investigation conducted by the fraternity's national organization found the chapter had violated multiple hazing policies.

While ASU's 2020-21 Greek Life Guidebook says hazing is prohibited and "all students, faculty and staff must take reasonable measures within the scope of their individual authority to prevent violations of this policy," hazing within ASU Greek Life is still prevalent.

In January, videos of what appeared to be an off-campus fraternity party with crowds of maskless people surfaced online. A University spokesperson later confirmed ASU began an investigation and found the party was linked to the Lamba Chi Alpha fraternity.

"It is never pleasant for us to lose a chapter or someone in fraternity and sorority life," Vice President of Student Services Joanne Vogel said in an interview with The State Press Monday. "But that should be an indication that something occurred that caused us and or their national organization enough concern to warrant closure at this time."

Vogel said the University's next step is relocating members of the Chi Phi fraternity chapter away from the Greek Leadership Village.

"We still care about them as students, so we will find them appropriate housing," Vogel said. "But that does not mean they can reside together as a fraternity because they are no longer."

Reach the reporter at kkwilso5@asu.edu and follow @kaceywilson_ on Twitter. 

Continue supporting student journalism and donate to The State Press today.

×