The best songs titled after days of the week

Seven days of music from 'Sunday Candy' to 'Friday, I'm in Love'

green_hanevold_02152021_musicdaysoftheweek.jpeg

"Chill for a minute, focus on the little things," from "Saturday" by Kota the Friend. Illustration published on Tuesday, Feb. 16, 2021.

Music is universal. No matter the song, it can be listened to during any month, holiday, day of the week or time of day. Like many others, I listen to music every day, and there are always enough songs to give each day its own melody. 

If you’re looking to capture a certain feeling, here is one song titled after each day of the week to check out. 

'Sunday Candy' by Donnie Trumpet & the Social Experiment

"Sunday Candy" is the standout track from the Social Experiment’s only album, "Surf."

The band is fronted by Chance the Rapper and features impressive horns off the lips of Donnie Trumpet himself, Nico Segal

On a record with features from Erykah Badu to Big Sean, "Sunday Candy" steals the show with Chance’s wholesome homage to his grandmother. 

Chance delivers two verses of nostalgic acknowledgement over a bouncy piano melody that meets synths and horns as the song progresses. 

Jamila Woods provides a catchy and choir-esque chorus that will stick in your head long after the day is over. 

'Crying Like A Church on Monday' by New Radicals

Another day, another song from a band that only released one album.

"Crying Like a Church on Monday" arrives as a near-closing track at the end of New Radicals' debut album "Maybe You’ve Been Brainwashed Too."

On a record that features speaker-breaking sing-alongs like "You Get What You Give" and "Someday We’ll Know," lead singer Gregg Alexander demonstrates an ability to dive into musical despondency on "Crying Like a Church on Monday."

The mournful title lyrics are infectious. 

"Now I'm cryin', like a church on Monday/Prayin' for these feelings to go away," Alexander sings.

What’s a good week without a little bit of melancholy?

'Tuesday' by Hippo Campus

"Sometimes they call it a Tuesday, sometimes they call it the best day of my life."

That's how Hippo Campus lead singer Jake Luppen opens up the next weekday ballad — an alternative rock jam about acquiring liquid honesty thanks to some boxed wine. 

All in a narrative, Luppen questions his father's livelihood, drunk calls an old romantic partner and eventually concludes Tuesday is, in fact, the best day.

Well, maybe. 

"Or is it only liquor speak?" he sings on the bridge. 

Even Luppen is skeptical of Tuesday's greatness. Luckily, we have four more days ahead of us. 

'Wednesday Morning, 3 A.M.' by Simon & Garfunkel

Set your alarm for early in the dawn, as Paul Simon and Art Garfunkel are in the songwriting groove with this ballad. 

"Wednesday Morning, 3 A.M." serves as the outro on the 1964 album of the same name. 

Simon, known for his ability to conjure imagery with lyricism, tells the story of our narrator lying anxiously in bed next to a woman on the other half of a fleeting one-night romance. 

The song is both introspective and gloomy, accompanied by a minimalist instrumental. In terms of our week of music, consider this a B-side reset. 

'Of a Thursday' by Michael Cera

Yes, that Michael Cera.

The actor of "Superbad" and "Juno" fame provides a song for all the instrumental lovers out there.

A perfect song to study or sleep to, "Of a Thursday" features Cera alone on a piano. It's one of the few instrumental tracks on his only album, "true that," released in 2014.

The actor will have you feeling like you're in a movie, too. "Of a Thursday" is soundtrack-ready. Throw your headphones on and activate main character mode. 

'Friday I’m in Love' (Recorded at Spotify Studios NYC) by Phoebe Bridgers

With all due respect to Robert Smith’s original version, I simply couldn't help but include Phoebe Bridgers on this list. 

On her 2018 Spotify Singles feature, Bridgers covers The Cure's catchy and upbeat pop song and gives it a dose of desolation. 

Bridgers is in her comfort zone, crooning over an austere and atmospheric keyboard. Lyrically, the song gives us a chance to reminisce on the days mentioned thus far and look forward to the weekend ahead. 

“I don't care if Monday's blue/Tuesday's grey and Wednesday too/Thursday, I don't care about you/It's Friday, I'm in love.”

'Saturday' by Kota the Friend

We’ve finished the balladic weekdays and finally arrived at the weekend. Let’s celebrate with a Saturday stroll alongside Brooklyn rapper Kota the Friend

It might be too late for Valentine’s Day, but "Saturday" is worth sending to your significant other. 

Kota’s monotone and mellifluous delivery on "Saturday" drives home a peaceful track about taking in the little moments with someone you love. Meanwhile, the instrumental layers a simplistic drum track over an addictive acoustic guitar loop. 

His opening bar in the second verse summarizes the best lesson from this seven-day, seven-track journey. 

"Chill for a minute, focus on the simple things."

Check out the playlist above to listen to these tracks and hear the ones that just missed the cut. 

Reach the reporter at ghanevol@asu.edu and follow @GannonHanevold on Twitter.

×