ASU volleyball swept by No. 8 Utah, lose second straight series

The Sun Devils have now lost five straight matches after winning season-opener

HCK_9850.jpg

ASU sophomore outside hitter Iman Isanovic serves against Utah in Desert Financial Arena in Tempe on Friday, Feb. 5, 2021. ASU lost to Utah 3-2. 

ASU volleyball suffered its second straight series sweep, losing both matches to No. 8 Utah on Friday and Sunday. 

Friday (8-25, 25-21, 25-21, 20-25, 8-15) 

ASU gained a 2-1 set lead against Utah, but was unable to complete the upset, losing the next two sets —  and ultimately the game.

Sophomore outside hitter Iman Isanovic led the way for the Sun Devils with 12 kills and 15 digs. Sophomore libero Annika Larson recorded 18 digs, and freshman setter Ella Snyder recorded 29 of the Sun Devils' 30 total assists. 

After a 10-3 start for Utah in the first set, ASU went on a 3-0 run to cut Utah's lead to four points. However, it was the closest the Sun Devils came to the lead, as the Utes ripped off a 9-0 run to make the score 19-6 and eventually won the set 25-8.

"That first set is not a representation of what we are as a team," Isanovic said. 

ASU and Utah battled for control throughout the second set, with no team gaining a lead larger than three until the final point. After Utah took a 19-18 lead, ASU produced a 7-2 run to close and win the set.

After Utah built a 16-10 lead in the third set, ASU eventually came back within one point of tying the set at 19-18. After surrendering a point to Utah, ASU went on a 7-1 run to win the set.

After ASU produced a 4-0 run to give the team a 12-10 lead in the fourth set, Utah responded with an 8-1 run of its own to take an 18-13 lead. The Utes went on another 5-1 run to reach set point, and eventually won the set after surrendering a 4-0 run to the Sun Devils.

The fifth and final set was defined by an 8-2 run from Utah to take a 13-5 lead. Utah won the set 15-8 to take the first game of the series.

Sunday (20-25, 17-25, 19-25)

The Utes overwhelmed the Sun Devils in Sunday's matchup, winning the match in straight sets. 

"Our offense wasn’t good again," head coach Sanja Tomasevic said. "When Utah passed well, they killed half their balls."

Isanovic led the team with 15 kills, freshman outside hitter Regan Tinkle added seven kills in only two sets played and Snyder added 13 assists. 

The Sun Devils played the Utes close throughout the first set, until Utah produced three runs — a 5-0 run and two 4-1 runs — to break away from ASU and eventually win the set 25-20.

Tomasevic said the team began playing with their backs up against the wall after the first set. Utah produced multiple runs in the second set to establish a 23-14 lead, eventually winning it 25-17.

Utah dominated the third set, scoring 10 of the set's first 11 points. ASU surrendered runs of 5-1 and 3-0 later in the set, eventually losing the set 25-19.

"It felt like we quit," Tomasevic said. 

ASU's next series will be at Oregon State on Feb. 11 and 12.

Reach the reporter at njpietrz@asu.edu and follow @NPietrzycki on Twitter. 

×