No. 11 ASU wrestling cruises to victory over Cal Poly

The Sun Devils scored two major decisions in a 34-6 win over the Mustangs on senior day

ASU Wrestling vs Stanford-17.jpg

ASU now-senior Kordell Norfleet celebrates his victory over Stanford Friday, Jan. 31, 2019, at the Desert Financial Arena in Tempe. ASU won 28-12.

No. 11 ASU wrestling improved its record to 4-0 on senior day with a 34-6 victory over Cal Poly in Tempe on Thursday. 

ASU took control of the dual from the start, with redshirt juniors Brandon Courtney and Michael McGee earning major decisions at the 125- and 133-pound classes, respectively, to put the team up 8-0 after two matches.

Graduate student Peter Lipari followed the two wins with a victory at the 141-pound class to increase ASU's lead to 11-0. Redshirt senior Cory Crooks then fell to Cal Poly redshirt freshman Legend Lamer to give the team its first points of the day.

Redshirt sophomore Jacori Teemer and redshirt senior Anthony Valencia won their respective matches at the 157- and 165-pound classes. Redshirt freshman Trey Munoz fell at the 174-pound class to Cal Poly redshirt sophomore Bernie Truax, the last points ASU surrendered.

Redshirt senior Cade Belshay pinned redshirt sophomore Dylan Miracle to win his match, and senior Kordell Norfleet earned a technical fall victory over freshman Josh Harkey.

Redshirt freshman Cohlton Schultz won his heavyweight matchup by forfeit.

In extra matches, redshirt freshman Julian Chlebove earned his third victory of the season, defeating redshirt junior Wyatt Cornelison by a major decision.

ASU's next duals will be against Iowa State and Northern Iowa in Ames, Iowa on Feb. 14 starting at 10 a.m. MST.

Reach the reporter at dmwilhe1@asu.edu and follow @dmwilhelm225 on Twitter.

×