No. 16 ASU gymnastics scores season high 197.150 in loss to No. 3 Utah

The Sun Devils scored season highs on three events on Saturday afternoon

20200117 gymnastics Hannah Scharf 0148

ASU now-sophomore Hannah Scharf competes on the floor in a win against UC Davis on Friday, Jan 17, 2020, at Desert Financial Arena in Tempe.

ASU gymnastics scored three season highs in its 197.450 to 197.150 loss to No. 3 Utah. The Sun Devils received their highest team score since 2006.

"I'm thrilled with the performance today," head coach Jay Santos said. 

The first rotation went like a dream for the Sun Devils. ASU surpassed 49.000 for the first time on vault this season. Sophomore Hannah Scharf and senior Cairo Leonard-Baker both scored a season-high and team-leading 9.900. 

"It was a surreal feeling," Leonard-Baker said. "Every single vault we landed."

The Sun Devils' 49.350 performance was enough to take a 0.125 point lead over Utah after the first rotation.

On bars, ASU continued its strong start, scoring a season-high 49.375. Sophomore Juliette Boyer scored a meet and career-high 9.925, and freshman Sarah Clark tied her career-high of 9.900.

Utah would remain persistent, scoring a 49.475 on vault. Senior Alexia Burch scored a meet leading and career-high 9.975 on vault. Despite Burch's score, Leonard-Baker scored 9.875 on bars, which helped ASU secure a slim 0.025 point lead heading into the third rotation. 

In the third rotation, ASU fell short on beam, scoring a 49.025. No gymnast scored above a 9.850 for the Sun Devils, with Clark's 9.850 leading the team. 

Utah took over the lead on floor exercise. Three Utah gymnasts scored a 9.900 or above, with Utah's highest score coming courtesy of sophomore Maile O'Keefe, who scored a 9.925. 

The Utes led the Sun Devils by 0.375 points heading into the third rotation.

The Sun Devils must remain more "tight" throughout the meet and not let their focus slip, according to Scharf.

ASU regained their composure on floor exercise scoring a season-high 49.400.

Three Sun Devil gymnasts set career highs on floor exercise. Sophomore Gracie Reeves scored a 9.850, Clark scored a 9.875 and Scharf scored a 9.925, tying the meet's top score. Leonard-Baker wrapped up the Sun Devil's historic day on the floor exercise scoring a season-high 9.900.

"This is a really big stepping stone, and I’m glad to be a part of it," Scharf said. 

After the meet, coach Santos came back onto the floor to take a picture of the team's historic final score. The meet was a lot of fun, according to Santos. 

The Sun Devils will travel to California and take on University of California on Feb. 14 at 3 p.m. MST.

Reach the reporter at njpietrz@asu.edu and follow @NPietrzycki on Twitter. 

×