No. 23 ASU women's tennis falls to Texas Tech 4-3

Three Sun Devils forced a third set in their singles matches, but only one was able to win their match

w-tennins-ok

ASU senior Ilze Hattingh hits the ball across the court against Oklahoma at the Whiteman Tennis Center in Tempe on Saturday, Feb. 6, 2021. ASU defeated Oklahoma 4-3.

No. 23 ASU women's tennis lost to Texas Tech 4-3 on Saturday in Lubbock, Texas.

ASU captured the doubles point with two consecutive wins. Redshirt senior Sammi Hampton and freshman Marianna Argyrokastriti defeated Texas Tech freshmen Bojana Marinkov and Metka Komac by a score of 6-1, and seniors Ilze Hattingh and Lauryn John-Baptiste defeated junior Kaitlin Staines and sophomore Nell Miller 6-4 to earn the doubles point. 

In the singles matches, freshman Giulia Morlet lost in straight sets to Texas Tech sophomore Olivia Peet 6-1, 6-2, giving Texas Tech its first point of the day. 

Hattingh defeated Staines 6-1 in the first set of her singles match but lost the second by a score of 6-2, forcing a third set in the match. Hattingh was shutout 6-0 in the third set, giving Texas Tech its second point. 

John-Baptiste lost her singles match against Texas Tech freshman Margarita Skriabina 6-2, 7-5. 

ASU redshirt senior Sammi Hampton hits the ball against Oklahoma at the Whiteman Tennis Center in Tempe on Saturday, Feb. 6, 2021. ASU defeated Oklahoma 4-3.

Hampton won the first set of her singles match against Miller 6-4. She held a 3-2 lead in the second set but eventually lost it 7-5, forcing a third set in the match. Hampton won the third set 7-5 and gave ASU its first singles point. 

Senior Tereza Kolarova went down 4-1 in her first set against Marinkov but won five straight games to win the first set 6-4. Kolarova won the second set 7-5, winning the match in straight sets.

Argyrokastriti split the first two sets of her singles match against Komac but lost the third set 6-3, giving the Red Raiders a 4-3 win over the Sun Devils.  

ASU will play against Wichita State next on Feb. 27 at 10 a.m. MST in Houston, Texas. 

Reach the reporter at lhertz@asu.edu and follow @laurenrachell_ on Twitter. 

×