All ASU students now eligible for COVID-19 vaccines at state-run sites

Arizonans over 16 are eligible to book COVID-19 vaccine appointments at state-run sites located in Maricopa, Pima and Yuma counties

20210202 COVID Vaccine 0005.jpg

A volunteer administers the COVID-19 vaccine at the Sun Devil Fitness Complex in Tempe on Tuesday, Feb. 2, 2021.

All Arizonans 16 and older are eligible to register for a COVID-19 vaccine appointment at state-run sites in Maricopa, Pima and Yuma counties beginning Wednesday at 8 a.m., Gov. Doug Ducey announced Monday.

ASU students and others will be able to register for an appointment at one of the state's five vaccine sites: State Farm Stadium, ASU’s Phoenix Municipal Stadium, Chandler-Gilbert Community College, UA in central Tucson and a new site opening at Yuma Civic Center on Friday, the statement said.

The Arizona Republic reported other vaccine sites, such as "pharmacies and federally qualified health centers participating in federal vaccination programs" will follow the new guidelines set by the state. 

An ASU spokesperson could not immediately answer if the announcement would impact ASU's vaccine site on the Tempe campus. The site at the Sun Devil Fitness Complex accepted appointments from ASU students, staff and faculty who were eligible.

Sites that administer the Pfizer vaccine can now administer it to people 16 and older, the statement said. The Moderna and the single-dose Johnson and Johnson vaccines can be given to adults 18 and older.

Vaccine appointments will open up every Friday at 11 a.m. at the state-run sites. As of Monday morning, 58,000 appointments were still available from Friday’s release, according to the release. 

“Our goal has been and remains to get vaccine into the community as quickly, widely and equitably as possible,” Ducey said in the statement.

The statement said the new eligibility rules advance "a hybrid approach that had been based on age and also has had counties vaccinating frontline essential workers" in the state.

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, close to 3 million COVID-19 vaccines have been administered in Arizona.

“We anticipate more and more vaccine reaching Arizona heading into April, making it possible now to expand prioritization,” said Dr. Cara Christ, director of the Arizona Department of Health Services in the statement.

To check appointment availability or to sign up to receive the vaccine, go the ADHS vaccine patient portal.

Reach the reporter at anatar12@asu.edu or follow @AnushaNat1 on Twitter.

Anusha NatarajanDiversity Officer

Anusha Natarajan is in her third year at ASU studying sociology, history, and political science. She previously served as a reporter for the community and culture desk for four semester and helps with Spanish translation and oversees diversity efforts in the newsroom. 

×