ASU athlete captures NCAA title at Indoor Track and Field Championships

Turner Washington won the NCAA title in men's shot put as one of five Sun Devils to compete at the championships

Turner Washington.jpg

ASU redshirt junior Turner Washington throws during the NCAA Indoor Track and Field Championships at the Randal Tyson Track Center in Fayetteville, Arkansas on Friday, March 12, 2021. Washington won first place with a throw of 21.36 meters.

Redshirt junior Turner Washington's NCAA title win in the men's shot put headlined ASU track and field's performance Friday at the NCAA Indoor Track and Field Championships.

Washington, junior Hayley Rayburn, senior Kentre Patterson, freshman Jamar Marshall Jr. and graduate student Jorinde van Klinken competed individually in their respective events at the meet in Fayetteville, Arkansas.

In the men's shot put, Washington threw for a distance of 21.36 meters on his fifth attempt to win the NCAA championship.

He became the first ASU athlete to win an NCAA indoor championship since Samantha Noennig (currently competing for UA) won the shot put championship in 2019, and the first male athlete since Jordan Clarke won the shot put championship in 2013.

"I'm happy just with what I did," Washington said. "I can't control ... what anyone else did, and I feel like 70 (feet) is pretty far, so still would've made for a good competition even if those guys were at their best."

Van Klinken secured third place in the women's shot put, throwing for a distance of 17.56 meters. Noennig earned second place, throwing for a distance of 17.69 meters, and Ohio State senior Adelaide Aquilla captured the title by throwing for 18.12 meters. 

Patterson and Marshall Jr. competed in the men's 60-meter hurdles preliminaries. However, both failed to qualify for the finals. Patterson finished with a time of 7.81 seconds, earning 12th place in the event, and Marshall Jr. did not finish the event after falling over a hurdle.

In the women's pole vault, Rayburn earned 11th place by clearing the 4.16-meter height.

An outdoor season schedule for ASU track and field will be released soon, according to a spokesperson from Sun Devil Athletics.

Reach the reporter at lhertz@asu.edu and follow @laurenrachell_ on Twitter.

×