ASU softball captures two run-rule wins over Montana, Incarnate Word

The Sun Devils scored 31 runs over the two games

20200306 Softball vs New Mexico State 0273

ASU now-fifth year outfielder Kindra Hackbarth (22) bunts during a game against New Mexico State on Friday, March 6, 2020, at Alberta B. Farrington Softball Stadium in Tempe.

No. 11 ASU softball scored 31 runs across two run-rule wins on Friday, defeating Montana and Incarnate Word in its first road games of the season in El Paso, Texas.

Montana

In the first game of the Orange and Blue Tournament, ASU defeated Montana 17-5 off of a nine-run sixth inning, which was encapsulated by four consecutive home runs.

The Sun Devils put up one run in each of the first two innings. In the first inning, fifth-year senior center fielder Kindra Hackbarth stole second base after a leadoff walk, and sophomore shortstop Alynah Torres subsequently drove her in with an RBI single. 

In the second inning, Montana senior pitcher Tristin Achenbach loaded the bases with three consecutive walks. After striking out senior third baseman Bella Loomis and getting Kindra Hackbarth to line out, Achenbach walked in the only run of the half-inning.

Fifth-year senior designated player Allison Tatnall led off the third inning with a home run. After two consecutive doubles from junior left fielder Makenna Harper and senior first baseman DeNae Chatman, redshirt junior second baseman Brittany Holland hit a two-RBI single to drive in both runners.

Fifth-year senior pitcher Cielo Meza allowed her only two runs of the game in the second and third innings. Meza finished the day striking out four batters in three innings pitched.

The Sun Devils knocked in another three runs across the fourth and fifth innings. Fifth-year senior catcher Maddi Hackbarth, Tatnall and Kindra Hackbarth all drove in runs.

Freshman pitcher Allison Royalty allowed consecutive singles and a three-run home run in the bottom of the fifth inning. Royalty struck out two batters in three innings pitched.

The Sun Devil offense exploded for nine runs in the sixth and final inning. Chatman, Loomis and Kindra Hackbarth all had run-scoring hits in the inning. Then, sophomore right fielder Jazmine Hill, Maddi Hackbarth, Torres and junior utility player Mailey McLemore each hit home runs in succession for the Sun Devils' final five runs of the game.

Incarnate Word

ASU's hot bats carried into the second game of Friday's doubleheader, as ASU defeated Incarnate Word 14-0.

ASU's only run through the first three innings came unearned. The Sun Devils' offense heated up in the fourth inning, as an RBI double from Chatman and a two-run home run from sophomore right fielder Jordyn Vanhook added an extra three runs onto ASU's lead.

Back-to-back home runs from Tatnall and Maddi Hackbarth in the top of the fifth increased ASU's lead to six. 

The Sun Devils put the game out of reach with another explosive sixth inning, scoring eight runs in the frame.

Chatman started off the inning with a solo home run to center field. Three ASU players recorded run-scoring singles, and freshman infielder Savannah Price scored on a fielder's choice.

Royalty had another dominant complete-game performance in the circle, pitching all six innings, allowing no runs and recording 11 strikeouts.

ASU is set to play another doubleheader Saturday, starting with a rematch against Incarnate Word at 12:30 p.m. MST and finishing by playing the University of Texas at El Paso at 5:30 p.m.

Reach the reporter at cfahrend@asu.edu and follow @chris_drop_ on Twitter.

×