No. 4 ASU men's golf finishes fourth in Valspar Collegiate

Sophomore Ryggs Johnston finished in a three-way tie for fourth on the individual leaderboard

DSC_3715.jpg

ASU now-junior Cameron Sisk lines up his shot during the Maui Jim Invitational at Mirabel Golf Club in Scottsdale, Arizona, on Friday, Sept. 21, 2018.

No. 4 ASU men's golf took fourth place in the Valspar Collegiate tournament in Palm City, Florida.

No. 3 Florida State finished first in the two-day tournament, followed by No. 2 Wake Forest and Ohio State.

Sophomore Ryggs Johnston earned the best individual score for the Sun Devils, finishing tied for fourth with six strokes under par. His second-round score of 64 is the best single-round score of his collegiate career.

Senior Mason Andersen finished right behind Johnston with five strokes under par, tying for seventh in the individual rankings. 

Sophomore David Puig, fifth-year senior Chun An Yu and junior Cameron Sisk all finished the tournament above par.

Puig had the worst single-round score for the Sun Devils, hitting 76 on a par of 71 in the second round. He rebounded by shooting three strokes under par in the final round.

Wake Forest junior Alex Fitzpatrick won the individual tournament by hitting 12 strokes under par. 

Florida State finished first in the team rankings off of the clubs of freshman Frederik Kjettrup, senior John Pak and freshman Brett Roberts. The three finished a combined 17 strokes under par, with Kjettrup leading the way at nine strokes under par.

ASU will play next in The Goodwin tournament in Stanford, California starting on March 25.

Reach the reporter at drodish@asu.edu and follow @david_rodish on Twitter.

×