Olympic sports roundup: Volleyball and gymnastics pick up wins, soccer battles for tie

The Sun Devils' volleyball team broke its 10-game losing streak, gymnastics extended its win streak and soccer tied with undefeated Washington

20210307 Soccer 0001.jpg

ASU junior midfielder Olivia Nguyen (23) dribbles the ball against Washington at Sun Devil Stadium in Tempe on Sunday, March 7, 2021. ASU and Washington tied 1-1.

ASU volleyball broke a long losing streak with a five-set comeback, gymnastics continued its winning ways and soccer fought to tie Washington this past week.

Volleyball

ASU suffered its 10th straight loss after being swept by UA (19-25, 19-25, 20-25) on Friday in Tucson. With the loss, ASU cannot finish with a winning record this season. 

Sophomore outside hitter Iman Isanovic led the Sun Devils with 11 kills, and freshman outside hitter Marta Levinska provided nine kills.

UA used three 3-0 runs to propel the team to win the first set 25-19. One of the runs helped break a 9-9 tie, which was the last time in the set ASU came within a point of taking the lead.

With ASU leading 14-13 in the second set, UA produced a 7-0 run to take a lead it carried the rest of the set, winning it 25-19.

After surrendering multiple 3-0 runs to the Wildcats in the third set, the Sun Devils used a 4-0 run to cut their deficit to 18-17. However, two points later, UA produced a 6-2 run to end the set and win it 25-20 to secure the match win.

ASU then snapped its losing streak on Sunday with a 3-2 (26-28, 12-25, 25-16, 25-22, 15-10) comeback win over UA in Tempe.

Levinska and Isanovic again led the Sun Devils offensively, combining to record 31 kills.

The Wildcats held set point on four separate occasions in the first set. A service error from senior middle blocker Megan Beedie and a kill from UA freshman outside hitter Sofia Maldonado Diaz won the first set 28-26 for UA. 

UA dominated the second set, producing a 6-0 run, two 4-0 runs and a 3-0 run to help the team win the set 25-12.

ASU responded by producing four separate 3-0 runs in the third set to win it 25-16. 

"One thing about this team that has been a staple, even when we are losing, is they don't quit," head coach Sanja Tomasevic said. 

Despite two separate 5-0 runs by ASU, UA kept the fourth set within reach but eventually fell 25-22 to force a fifth set.

ASU produced two 3-0 runs in the fifth set to help win it 15-10 and complete the five-set comeback.

ASU will face Cal next on March 12 and 14 in Tempe. 

Gymnastics 

ASU gymnastics completed the season sweep of UA on Saturday with a 196.100 to 196.075 win in Tempe.  

Freshman Anaya Smith’s meet-leading 9.900 on vault helped the Sun Devils to score a 49.075 in the event. 

ASU scored a 49.200 on bars, led by senior Cairo Leonard-Baker’s meet-leading score of 9.900.

The Sun Devils took a hit on beam after freshman Sarah Clark and sophomore Hannah Scharf both fell off during their beam routines, and the Sun Devils had to count Scharf’s 9.275. 

“The mistake on beam really put us in a hole,” head coach Jay Santos said.

ASU responded on floor exercise with a 49.400, led by Scharf's 9.925. Leonard-Baker’s 9.900 in the event sealed the Sun Devils’ third straight win on senior night.

“I thought we were already winning with Hannah’s score, so I was just happy to go out there and just do my last routine in here (Desert Financial Arena),” Leonard-Baker said.

ASU will travel to face Boise State next on March 12 in its last regular season meet of the year, with a time for the meet still to be determined. 

Soccer

ASU earned a hard-fought 1-1 draw against unbeaten Washington on Sunday in Tempe.

Washington got on the board first with a header from junior forward Ruby Hellstrom in the 18th minute, but ASU responded with a goal from junior midfielder Alexia Delgado just eight minutes later to tie the score at one point apiece.

From that point on, each team had opportunities throughout, combining for 34 total shots in the game, but both goalies provided great defense. Sophomore Giulia Cascapera saved four shots for ASU, and Washington redshirt junior Olivia Sekany recorded eight saves in the game.

ASU outshot Washington 6-0 in the final 15 minutes of regulation but couldn’t find the back of the net.

ASU will travel to Eugene, Oregon to take on Oregon next on March 12 at 8 p.m. MST.

Reach the reporters at njpietrz@asu.edu and dmwilhe1@asu.edu, and follow @NPietrzycki and @dmwilhelm225 on Twitter. 

×