Olympic sports roundup: Volleyball sweeps Cal, soccer remains undefeated

ASU volleyball swept its series against Cal, soccer picked up a win and a tie, and gymnastics lost its regular-season finale

HCK_9926.jpg

ASU freshman outside hitter Roberta Rabelo (18) spikes the ball against Utah in Desert Financial Arena in Tempe on Friday, Feb. 5, 2021. ASU lost 3-2.

ASU volleyball completed its first series sweep of the season, soccer remained undefeated after picking up a win and a tie, and gymnastics dropped its regular-season finale this past week. 

Volleyball

ASU volleyball defeated Cal 3-0 (25-21, 25-14, 25-22) on Friday in Tempe to win consecutive games for the first time this season.

“At no point tonight we gave a chance for Cal to come back, and that is something I am really proud of,” head coach Sanja Tomasevic said after Friday's game. 

Despite building a four-point lead midway through the first set, Cal battled back to tie the set at 20-20. ASU then responded with a 5-1 run to end the set and win it 25-21.

In the second set, ASU produced runs of 6-0 and 5-0 to take a 12-point lead and eventually win it 25-14.

Cal jumped out to an early lead in the third set by producing a 6-0 run, but ASU later responded with a 6-0 run of its own to tie the set at 12 points apiece. 

The two teams battled back and forth throughout the set, remaining tied at 22-22. However, ASU produced a 3-0 run to end the third set that sealed the victory.

Then on Sunday, ASU completed its first series sweep of the season by defeating Cal 3-0 (25-17, 25-17, 26-24) for the second consecutive game. 

ASU built a lead as large as nine points in the first set off of three 3-0 runs, eventually winning it 25-17.

ASU came out of the gates in the second set with a 5-0 run. The team also produced a 4-0 run later in the set to help win it 25-17. Cal never held the lead in the second set. 

Both teams again battled for the third set, with Cal tying the set as late as 24-24. However, ASU scored two consecutive points to win the set 26-24.

"I’m super proud of the way we finished that third set, especially since it’s been a while since we’ve won a game that we were down," said Tomasevic. 

ASU will travel to take on Stanford next on March 19 and 21.

Gymnastics 

No. 11 ASU gymnastics lost to No. 19 Boise State 196.750 to 196.700 on Friday in Boise, Idaho. 

Despite freshman Sarah Clark falling on bars, the Sun Devils scored a 49.250 in the event. 

Freshman Anaya Smith scored a meet-leading 9.875 on vault, helping the Sun Devils score a 49.050 in the event. 

Sophomore Hannah Scharf and senior Cairo Leonard-Baker both scored a 9.925 on floor, helping the team finish with a 49.300 in the event. 

ASU scored a 49.100 on beam, but it was not enough to overcome Boise State's lead after it scored a 49.475 on floor.

ASU will compete next at the Pac-12 Championships in West Valley City, Utah on March 20. 

Soccer

ASU soccer came away with a tie against Oregon on Friday in Eugene, Oregon thanks to a penalty kick in the 73rd minute from junior forward Nicole Douglas.

The Sun Devils' defense only allowed three shots on goal the entire match. One of those shots found the back of the net, which came from senior midfielder True Dydasco in the 41st minute.

ASU's offense applied consistent pressure, taking 11 shots with seven of them on goal. 

ASU took four shots across both overtime periods, but none of them found the back of the net, ending the game in a deadlock.

ASU ended regulation tied against Oregon State but came away with a 1-0 victory on Sunday in Corvallis, Oregon after Douglas scored five minutes into the first overtime period to keep the team undefeated.

Oregon State created many opportunities throughout the night, including 15 shots and 11 corner kicks. But ASU's defense held strong, with sophomore goalkeeper Giulia Cascapera recording six saves.

ASU will travel to face UA in Tucson next on March 19 at 7 p.m. MST.

Reach the reporters at njpietrz@asu.edu and dmwilhe1@asu.edu, and follow @NPietrzycki and @dmwilhelm225 on Twitter. 

×