Active COVID-19 cases drop slightly as vaccination efforts increase

Nearly 13,000 ASU community members have been vaccinated against COVID-19 so far, with over 8,000 being fully vaccinated

20210202 COVID Vaccine 0006.jpg

A volunteer worker puts on new gloves before administering the COVID-19 vaccine at the Sun Devil Fitness Complex on the Tempe campus on Tuesday, Feb. 2, 2021. 

The University reported a total of 62 active cases as of Thursday, a decrease of one case since Monday's total of 63 active cases.

Of the cases, 57 are students and five are faculty and staff. There are 47 active cases among off-campus students in the metropolitan Phoenix area, with nine students in isolation on the Tempe campus. There is one active case on the Downtown Phoenix, West or Polytechnic campuses.

Since Jan. 1, the University has reported 1,985 cumulative cases out of the more than 78,002 tests administered in that time frame. ASU has had a positivity rate of roughly 2.5% since Jan. 1.

Of the cases since Jan. 1, students make up 1,662 and employees make up 323. The total number of cumulative cases since Aug. 1 is 6,493 within the ASU community.

The COVID-19 vaccine site at the Sun Devil Fitness Complex in Tempe has distributed 11,882 vaccines so far this semester, according to a University spokesperson. Of those, 7,491 have been fully vaccinated. In total, 12,914 ASU community members have been vaccinated, with 8,377 having received both doses.

ASU researchers have discovered a new variant known as the B.1.243.1 variant, which has been found in 17 cases, 15 of which were in Arizona. This new variant is considered one of the "variants of concern," the study said.

READ MORE: ASU researchers identify new COVID-19 virus variant in Arizona

Thursday, Gov. Doug Ducey announced he was ending executive orders on elective surgeries at hospitals and visitors at long-term care facilities. 

In the state, the Arizona Department of Health Services reported 381 new cases and 10 new deaths Thursday. The state reported that just over 30% of Arizonans have received at least one dose of the COVID-19 vaccine.

The COVID-19 vaccine has been making its way to pharmacies and other stores throughout the Valley. This Thursday, Costco announced it will provide vaccine appointments for the two-dose Moderna vaccine in the Phoenix metro area, Tucson and Prescott locations, AZ Family reported. 

To check appointment availability or to sign up to receive the vaccine, go the ADHS vaccine patient portal.

Reach the reporter at anatar12@asu.edu or follow @AnushaNat1 on Twitter.

Anusha NatarajanDiversity Officer

Anusha Natarajan is in her third year at ASU studying sociology, history, and political science. She previously served as a reporter for the community and culture desk for four semester and helps with Spanish translation and oversees diversity efforts in the newsroom. 

×