No. 5 ASU men's golf ties for sixth in Augusta Haskins Award Invitational

Chun An Yu led the Sun Devils by finishing three strokes under par through the two-day tournament

20190914 Mason Andersen

ASU now-senior Mason Andersen lines up his ball before he tees off on Saturday, Sept. 14, 2019, at the Mirabel Golf Club in Scottsdale.

No. 5 ASU men's golf finished the Augusta Haskins Award Invitational tied for sixth place. The team shot six strokes under par through the two-day tournament which took place Saturday and Sunday.

ASU went six under par on the final day and rose two spots after finishing the first day at even par.

Despite a solid team performance, the Sun Devils failed to keep up with other teams who had several golfers turn in great showings. No. 7 Oklahoma State, who won the tournament, finished 37 strokes under par. No. 11 Pepperdine  finished 35 strokes under par and took second place.

Fifth-year senior Chun An Yu led the way for the Sun Devils, finishing with the team's best individual score at three strokes under par to tie with two others in 18th place.

ASU now-junior Cameron Sisk plays in the Maui Jim Invitational at Mirabel Golf Club on Friday, Sept. 21, 2018, in Scottsdale, Arizona.

Sophomore David Puig shot one stroke under par for the tournament, the only other ASU golfer to score under par outside of Yu. He tied for the 25th-best score for the tournament with three others.

Sophomore Ryggs Johnston finished at even par through the tournament, tying for 29th place along with five others.

Junior Cameron Sisk and senior Mason Andersen rounded out ASU's performance at the tournament. Both produced decent numbers, with Sisk going two strokes over par and Andersen going three strokes over par. Sisk tied for 38th while Andersen tied for 43rd on the individual leaderboard.

ASU will compete next at the Thunderbird Collegiate on April 16-17 in Phoenix.

Reach the reporter at drodish@asu.edu and follow @david_rodish on Twitter.

×