Olympic sports roundup: Soccer drops consecutive games for first time in 2021

ASU's soccer team lost consecutive games for the first time this season, while the track and field team won 11 events in the Jim Click Shootout

20210402 ASU Soccer v. Cal-6 (1).jpg
ASU junior midfielder Olivia Nguyen (23) and University of California senior forward Emma Westin (8) fight for the ball in a game at the Sun Devil Football Stadium in Tempe on Friday, April 2, 2021. Cal beat ASU 2-1 in double overtime.

Among ASU's Olympic sports, track and field produced a strong showing in the Jim Click Shootout, and the soccer team dropped consecutive games for the first time this season.

Track and Field 

ASU track and field won 11 events at the Jim Click Shootout in Tucson, including redshirt junior Turner Washington breaking his own record in the men's discus throw.

Washington won the men's discus throw with a distance of 64.57 meters, breaking ASU's program record in the event that he set just under a month prior.

Graduate student Jorinde van Klinken won the women's discus throw by recording a distance of 58.77 meters.

Redshirt senior Beatrice Llano won the women's hammer throw by throwing for 67.22 meters. 

Freshman Dylan James won the men's long jump by recording a jump of 7.37 meters. Fifth-year senior Amanda Carty took home a second-place finish in the women's long jump with a leap of 6.12 meters. 

Sophomore Sevanna Hanson won the women's pole vault after clearing the 4.03-meter height, while junior Justin Petz won the men's pole vault by clearing a height of 4.91 meters. 

Freshman Jamar Marshall Jr. and senior Kentre Patterson secured first and second place in the men's 110-meter hurdles, respectively. Marshall Jr. finished with a time of 13.69 seconds, and Patterson finished with a time of 13.97 seconds. 

ASU will compete next on April 17 in the West Coast Classic. Sprinters will compete in Tucson, while distance runners will compete in Eugene, Oregon.

Soccer

Utah used a first-half goal to top ASU 1-0 in Salt Lake City Friday. Utah freshman midfielder Kaylee Coatney scored the lone goal of the match for Utah in the 26th minute, which was enough to propel the team to its third win of the season.

Junior forward Nicole Douglas and sophomore midfielder Dai Williams led the way for the Sun Devils offensively as both players recorded two shots on goal.

Williams almost finished a shot in front of an open net to tie the score in the second half, but Utah's defense cleared the ball and killed ASU's opportunity.

Sophomore goalkeeper Giulia Cascapera recorded three saves in the game.

ASU then dropped its next matchup against Colorado 2-0 in Boulder, Colorado Sunday. The loss marked the first time this season ASU suffered consecutive losses.

The Sun Devils recorded 15 shots and three corner kicks in the game but failed to find the back of the net.

For Colorado, sophomore defender Alyssa Duke scored the first goal of the game in the 34th minute. Then, freshman forward Shyra James doubled Colorado's advantage in the 47th minute.

ASU suffered its third loss in the past four games. The team now sits at 8-4-2 overall, including a 4-3-2 mark in Pac-12 play.

ASU will play its regular-season finale against UA on April 16 at 8 p.m. MST in Tempe.

Reach the reporters at dmwilhe1@asu.edu and lhertz@asu.edu, and follow @dmwilhelm225 and @laurenrachell_ on Twitter.

×