ASU volleyball looks to rest of season after going 2-1 in opener

The Sun Devils competed at the Sun Devil Volleyball Classic, defeating Cal Poly and Texas A&M-Corpus Christi, but losing to No. 13 Louisville

volleyball Feb 21

ASU then-freshman setter Ella Snyder (21) tips the ball over the net against UCLA in Desert Financial Arena in Tempe on Friday, Feb. 19, 2021. UCLA beat ASU 3-1.

The ASU volleyball team kicked off their 2021 season this weekend, hosting the Sun Devil Volleyball Classic.

The tournament consisted of ASU, University of Louisville, Texas A&M-Corpus Christi and California Polytechnic State University. ASU went 2-1, sweeping Texas A&M-Corpus Christi and Cal Poly, but losing to No. 13 Louisville in a five-set thriller.  

This year, the Sun Devils have a young team with only two seniors β€” one of whom is a first-year transfer β€” and 14 of the 20 players are underclassmen. The team finished last season with a 6-14 record, a disappointing feat. 

Coming into the 2021 season, the team is ranked eleventh in the Pac-12 preseason poll after introducing eight new players, including three transfers and five freshmen. 

The most notable newcomers include freshman setter Allie Gray, fifth-year senior libero Jamye Cox, and a trio of middle blockers: sophomore Claire Jeter, freshmen Andi Kreiling and junior Beatrice Badini.

"The transfers that we got are of great value and every newcomer has made an impact," said junior outside hitter Iman Isanovic.

According to head coach Sanja Tomasevic, there are many questions surrounding the starting setters and liberos on the team.

For Gray, junior Shannon Shields and sophomore Ella Snyder, it is a fight for the starting setter position.

Snyder led the Sun Devils in assists last season after earning the starting nod from Tomasevic. 

At the tournament this past weekend, Tomasevic attributed Snyder's connection with pin hitters Marta Levinska and Isanovic for the team's success.

Shields, who joined the team last season after transferring from Louisville, has challenged Snyder for the setter position. Snyder started 13 matches as setter, with Shields starting six.

According to Tomasevic, Gray is one of the highest-ranking recruits that the program has ever had. Despite Gray's talent, Snyder and Shields are expected to be the main candidates battling it out for the starting job, Tomasevic said.

"It's one of our most competitive positions right now," Tomasevic said. "Those three go at it every day. It's going to be a week-to-week decision unless somebody really separates themselves."

After starting for the team last season, junior Annika Larson has a competition for libero.

Cox and Larson have been competing with each other at practice daily, but no permanent starter has been named yet. Larson started the tournament at libero and Cox at defensive specialist.

"It's really close between (Larson and Cox) right now. They're both really good options and they both understand it’s gonna be a competition," Tomasevic said. 

A fifth-year transfer from Michigan State University, Cox brings a lot of experience and leadership to a young team. 

Cox ranks fourth in all-time digs at MSU and 34th in career digs among all active Division I players. However, in her last year of eligibility, her perspective on how she approaches the sport has changed.

"It used to be all about volleyball β€” how am I playing? What are my stats? Are we winning or losing?" Cox said. "Now I'm looking at the team as a whole, how to connect, how to be a leader and a good teammate. I want to be a supporter and not make it just about volleyball."

The team will play eight more non-conference games before beginning conference play on Sept. 23 against UA.

The Sun Devils will be back in action on Friday, Sept. 3 at 8 a.m. MST when they take on the Univeristy of Georgia in the Ameritas Players Challenge.

Correction: This article was updated on Aug. 30 at 3:35 p.m. to provide the correct name for Texas A&M-Corpus Christi.

Reach the reporter at ahoppes1@asu.edu and follow @aviannahoppes on Twitter.

×