Pac-12 forms alliance with Big Ten, ACC

The three conferences aim to collaborate on scheduling and policy for multiple issues college athletics faces

20200311 Pac-12 logo stock

An inflatable basketball with the Pac-12 logo is displayed on Wednesday, March 11, 2020, outside T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas.

The Pac-12  announced Tuesday that the conference has entered into an alliance with the Big Ten and Atlantic Coast Conference.

According to a press release from the Pac-12, the alliance will connect 41 universities and allow them to work together on common issues student-athletes face such as mental health, new athletic and educational opportunities, social justice issues, gender equity and more.  

Presidents, chancellors and athletic directors from the three conferences unanimously agreed that by collaborating, they can conquer various issues facing college athletics, the press release said.

The press release said the collaboration will also bring a new scheduling component for football and men's and women's basketball, designed to create new matchups that will be attractive to student-athletes and fans.

"Today, through this alliance, we furthered our commitment to our student-athletes by prioritizing our academics and athletics value systems," Big Ten commissioner Kevin Warren said in the press release. "We are creating opportunities for student-athletes to have elite competition and are taking the necessary steps to shape and stabilize the future of college athletics."

Olympic sports will also benefit from the alliance, adding more games to their schedules to create new rivalries. 

The conferences are currently undergoing a process to determine the best schedule and the best course of action to implement these new proposals. Pac-12 commissioner George Kliavkoff will be a part of this by visiting many schools to receive feedback regarding the new proposals, he said at a press conference Tuesday. 

The alliance hopes to receive enough feedback by Sept. 28 from the universities to move forward, Kliavkoff said.

Reach the reporter at jspange1@asu.edu and follow @jspangenthal94 on Twitter.

Continue supporting student journalism and donate to The State Press today

Justin SpangenthalSports Reporter

Justin Spangenthal is a reporter for The State Press, currently covering Men's Golf and Track and Field. Justin transferred to ASU last January and is planning to graduate Fall '23. He is passionate about journalism and hopes to one day launch his own media outlet.

×