Active COVID-19 cases within ASU remain same as last week

Among the active coronavirus cases within the University community, 34 are students and 16 are among faculty and staff

20210518-19 Vaccine Sites 0018.jpg
Pharmacist Trevor Lawrence fills a syringe with a dose of the Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine in Desert Financial Arena in Tempe on Wednesday, May 19, 2021.

ASU reported a total of 50 cases among faculty, staff and students, the same number of cases reported in the previous update. 

According to a Monday update, 34 cases are among the student body, and 16 cases are among faculty and staff. 

All active student cases are off campus in the metropolitan Phoenix area, and there are no students isolating on the Tempe, Downtown Phoenix, West or Polytechnic campuses.

Since Jan. 1, the University has reported 2,409 total positive cases out of 104,577 tests administered, yielding a total positivity rate of about 2.3%. 

The Arizona Department of Health Services reported 1,846 new cases and one new death in the state on Monday. Arizona's positivity rate stands at about 9.7%.

Following the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's recommendation for all people — vaccinated or not — to mask up indoors if "in an area of substantial or high transmission," ASU updated the wording in its COVID-19 policies from optional to "strongly recommending" masking indoors. 

Under Gov. Doug Ducey's June executive order prohibiting Arizona public universities from requiring masks, vaccinations or testing, ASU is not allowed to require students to mask up indoors.

READ MORE: ASU updates guidelines to 'strongly recommend' masking indoors

The updated CDC guidelines follow an uptick in reported positive cases nationwide of the quick-spreading delta variant, which was first detected in the United States in March 2021 and is responsible for more than 75% of positive cases in Arizona, ABC15 reported.

But a big difference between the delta variant and the alpha variant is people are now vaccinated, said Will Humble, executive director of the Arizona Public Health Association

"What's going to be different about this wave is that so many people have been vaccinated," Humble said. While the number of newly reported cases is on the rise, hospitalizations from COVID-19 remain steady and far under the numbers seen during Arizona's peak in cases in January 2021.

In Arizona, 52.2% of Arizonans have been vaccinated, and over 3.7 million people have received at least one dose of a COVID-19 vaccine, according to ADHS. 

In the U.S., 49.7% of the population was fully vaccinated as of Monday, according to the CDC. 

About 70% of U.S. adults have received one dose of the vaccine, a goal set by President Joe Biden to reach by July 4 and reached almost a month later. 

COVID-19 vaccines for students are available at ASU Health Services. Students can schedule a vaccination appointment through the Health Portal.

Reach the reporter at mcfisch4@asu.edu and follow @morgfisch on Twitter.

Morgan FischerPolitics Editor

Morgan Fischer is the politics editor, she works with her desk to cover topics related to politics in the ASU community. She has previously worked as an intern for RightThisMinute. 

×