Active COVID-19 cases drop below 100

The University reported 96 total positive cases Monday, six fewer than last week

20210518-19 Vaccine Sites 0004.jpg

Site Director Melissa Irizarry holds up a syringe containing a dose of the Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine at the Gila River Arena vaccine site in Glendale on Tuesday, May 18, 2021.

ASU reported 96 total positive cases within its community on Monday, six fewer compared to last week’s report of 102.

According to the University's report, the number of COVID-19 cases reported among students has decreased by seven in the past week, with cases declining from 83 last week to 76.

Of the students who tested positive for COVID-19, 69 of those students are living off campus in the metropolitan Phoenix area. There are five students in isolation on the Tempe campus, and two students are in isolation on the Downtown Phoenix, West and Polytechnic campuses. 

ASU reported 20 positive cases among faculty and staff, an increase of one case from last week.

The University has reported 869 cases among students and 310 among employees since Aug. 1. ASU has conducted 56,096 tests since Aug. 2, producing a test positivity rate of approximately 2.1%.

The University collected a total of 1,420 random tests from students and employees from Oct. 18-24. Of the collected samples, 224 tests came from on-campus students, 768 came from off-campus students and 428 came from employees. Nine tests were reported positive, six of them coming from off-campus students.

The Arizona Department of Health Services reported 158 new cases in the state Monday. The department also removed a death from its records.

The Food and Drug Administration gave emergency authorization to Moderna and Johnson & Johnson vaccines to be used for single booster doses last week. Eligible individuals can now receive booster shots from any of the three vaccine manufacturers regardless of which brand gave them their initial dose.

For individuals who received the Moderna COVID-19 vaccine, the FDA said those who are 65 years and older and people aged 18-64 who are at high risk of severe effects from COVID-19 or work or live in high-risk settings are now eligible for a booster shot six months after their initial two doses.

The FDA also gave emergency authorization for booster shots two or more months after the initial dose to those aged 18 and older who received the Johnson & Johnson vaccine.

Reach the reporter at rkalale@asu.edu and follow @pokefanrithwik on Twitter. 

×