COVID-19 cases among ASU students almost double

The University reported 167 positive COVID-19 cases Monday among the ASU community, 71 more than last week

20210518-19 Vaccine Sites 0009.jpg

Four syringes containing the Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine are shown in the Desert Financial Arena vaccine site in Tempe on Wednesday, May 19, 2021.

COVID-19 cases among students have risen to 140, almost doubling compared to last week's 76 student cases, according to the University's update Monday. 

Total positive cases within the ASU community have increased from 96 to 167.

Of the students who have tested positive for COVID-19, 126 are living off campus in the Phoenix metropolitan area. There are 12 students in isolation on the Tempe campus and two students in isolation across the Downtown Phoenix, West and Polytechnic campuses.

Faculty and staff cases rose from 20 to 27, an increase of seven from last week's report.

Since Aug. 1, the University has recorded 964 positive COVID-19 cases among students and 337 among faculty and staff. ASU has conducted a total of 60,275 tests since Aug. 2, which gives a test positivity rate of approximately 2.2%.

The University conducted a total of 1,315 random saliva tests among students and faculty from Oct. 25 to Oct. 31. Of the collected samples, 914 came from students and 401 came from faculty. A total of 20 tests came back positive.

On Monday, the Arizona Department of Health Services reported 2,090 new COVID-19 cases and one death.

On Friday, the U.S. FDA authorized the emergency use of the Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine for children between the ages of 5 and 11.

Reach the reporter at jkabiri@asu.edu and follow @jasminekabiri on Twitter.

Jasmine KabiriAssignment Editor

Jasmine Kabiri is the assignment editor at The State Press, overseeing and editing stories produced by the six digital desks. She has previously worked as a reporter at The Daily Camera and Cronkite News.

×