Active COVID-19 cases increase, mirroring last year's Halloween spike

Since last Monday, 128 students and 36 employees have reportedly tested positive for COVID-19

20210202 COVID Vaccine 0006.jpg

A volunteer worker puts on new gloves before administering the COVID-19 vaccine at the Sun Devil Fitness Complex on the Tempe campus on Tuesday, Feb. 2, 2021. 

One week after Halloween, reported active COVID-19 cases in the ASU community are once again on the rise.

According to a University update Monday, active cases among students and employees increased by 69 from last Monday, totaling 236.

Of the 201 students who have tested positive for COVID-19, 178 are living off campus in the metropolitan Phoenix area. There are 14 students in isolation on the Tempe campus and nine students in isolation across the Downtown Phoenix, West and Polytechnic campuses.

Faculty and staff active cases rose from 27 to 35, an increase of eight from last week's report.

Last year, the number of reported active cases on Nov. 9 was 288 cases, an increase of 181 cases from Nov. 2.

Since Aug. 1, the University has recorded 1,092 positive COVID-19 cases among students and 373 among faculty and staff. An additional 128 students and 36 employees have reportedly tested positive for COVID-19 since last Monday.

ASU has conducted a total of 65,018 tests since Aug. 2, which gives a test positivity rate of approximately 2.3%.

The University conducted a total of 1,690 random saliva tests among students and employees from Nov. 1-7. Of the collected samples, 1,160 came from students and 530 came from employees. A total of 35 tests came back positive, yielding a positivity rate of 2.1%

On Monday, the Arizona Department of Health Services reported 2,657 new COVID-19 cases and zero deaths.

Reach the reporter at eborst@asu.edu and follow @ellieeborstt on Twitter.

Ellie BorstExecutive Editor 2021-22

Ellie Borst is the executive editor of The State Press, overseeing the publication and its four departments: online, magazine, multimedia and engagement. She plans to graduate in May 2022 with her master's in legal studies and got her bachelor's in journalism in 2021. Previous roles she has held since joining SP in 2018 include digital managing editor, magazine managing editor, community and culture desk editor, and arts and culture reporter.

×