COVID-19 cases at ASU continue to decrease for fourth week in a row

The total number of reported positive cases among students declined to 218, while staff cases declined to 33 from last week's update

210518 vaccine site
Pharmacist Trevor Lawrence fills a syringe with a dose of the Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine in Desert Financial Arena in Tempe on Wednesday, May 19, 2021.

Out of the 4,437 tests administered within the past week, the number of total known positive COVID-19 cases has decreased to 251, according to an update published by the University Monday evening.

With the spread of the omicron variant still affecting Arizona, the number of total known positive cases among the ASU community has decreased by 115 from last week's 366 positive cases.

Cases amid the student body have decreased to 218, compared to last week's 302, a decrease of 84 positive cases. Known positive cases in ASU faculty and staff have also decreased to 33, a decrease of 31 from last week's 64 known positives.

Among the 218, there is a total of seven known student cases in isolation throughout the ASU campuses, with four of them being on the Tempe campus, and 211 are in off-campus students. 

The Arizona Department of Health Services reported 2,685 new COVID-19 cases across the state with one death on Monday.

Reach the reporter at ljchatha@asu.edu and follow @LukeJC2 on Twitter.

Luke ChathamCommunity and Culture Reporter

Luke Chatham is a Community & Culture reporter and previous Business and Tech reporter. He also worked in the studio production crew for Cronkite News and is currently a freelance reporter and writer for Arcadia News.

×