Kyle Parco leads ASU wrestling in first year as a Sun Devil

Parco has impressed in his first year as a Sun Devil, going 18-1 and being No. 8 in the 149-pound weight class

Kyle parco

A referee holds ASU redshirt freshman wrestler Kyle Parco's hand over his head after winning a match in Desert Financial Arena on Sunday, Jan. 30, 2022.

Redshirt freshman Kyle Parco is in his first year as a Sun Devil after spending his first year at Fresno State University.

Parco was sensational during his time as a Bulldog, placing sixth in the 149-pound weight class at the 2021 NCAA Championships. At the tournament, Parco went 5-3 and placed as the No.17 seed, after finishing at 19-4 in his first collegiate season wrestling.

"I knew he was gonna do very well, I knew he had the ability and potential coming out of high school," said former Fresno State coach Troy Steiner.

Parco got started with wrestling at a young age and since has worked at his craft to become a better wrestler. 

"I started wrestling when I was seven years old. I first started in jiu-jitsu and then my dad put me in wrestling and I've been a wrestler ever since," Parco said. 

Fresno State had its wrestling program discontinued alongside women's lacrosse and men's tennis due to financial restrictions and COVID-19 in 2020, setting up Parco's eventual transfer to ASU. 

"They told me it was strictly financial. They also said before COVID that they wouldn't be able top afford the sport," Steiner said.

Parco's decision to move to ASU came in part due to the legacy head coach Zeke Jones has cemented in the college wrestling world. 

"I chose to transfer to Arizona State because I saw that they train at a very high level and to be the best I have to be trained and coached by the best," Parco said. 

While redshirting may be hard for some athletes, Parco took it as a challenge and a learning experience. 

"I think it was a good year for me to develop. Out of high school I wasn't a big-name starter so redshirting at Fresno helped develop me as an athlete and a wrestler," Parco said.

Parco is 18-1 on the season and as a freshman, the sky is the limit for him, as he is No. 8 in the 149-pound weight class.

"I had to mature athletically at a young age because I was young for my age group so I had to put my age aside and mature mentally and bring myself to a higher level," Parco said. 

Parco is the only freshman and member from the Pac-12 to place in the top-10 of his respective weight class, with coach Jones having nothing but praise for Parco and the start he's had to his wrestling career at ASU. 

"I see a guy who wants to be the best in the nation," Jones said. "He has the drive and desire and he has what it takes to be a national champion. He's committed to his craft. I see a tremendous human being and a guy that wants to be a world-class wrestler."

Parco has cemented himself as a top wrestler for one of the top programs in the nation. While he may only be a redshirt freshman, his journey as a Sun Devil has just begun.

Reach the reporter at nnath2@asu.edu and follow @NathNikash on Twitter.

×