Expensive tacos, photo stations and a ferris wheel mark in-person return of Devilpalooza

Alternative R&B trio Chase Atlantic performed to a sea of students crowded on the Tempe SDFC fields

Devilpalooza Crowd

The crowd of students at Devilpalooza on Saturday, March 26, 2022, at the SDFC fields in Tempe. Devilpalooza is the Programming and Activities Board's premier spring event.

The annual Devilpalooza event returned to its traditional in-person festivities on the Tempe campus' SDFC fields with headliner Chase Atlantic. 

Students waited in line that wrapped around the venue before doors opened Saturday at 6 p.m. They were welcomed by a tent filled with artificial fog and photo opportunities throughout. 

"My goal going in is that I don't want anything that you see here to be the same thing that you've ever done before," said Haily Fadden, director of Devilpalooza and a junior studying management. Fadden's goal was for attendees to be "having the time of (their) life," and be "overstimulated in a good way."

Fadden said as soon as she was hired by Programming and Activities Board in Spring 2021 to work on Devilpalooza, she immediately started work. Fadden's team surveyed the ASU community with Instagram polls to find out the most popular music genre. After curating several potential performers, more Instagram polls were created to finalize the headlining artist. 

Chase Atlantic performs for students at Devilpalooza on Saturday, March 26, 2022 at the SDFC fields in Tempe.

As the night continued, the student section got larger. Lines for the ferris wheel, food trucks and backgrounds to take photos were filled. 

READ MORE: Get a taste of the music from Devilpalooza's headliner Chase Atlantic

"I looked forward to coming here with my friends the most, I don't think we've had a lot of opportunities to go to big events like this as a group," said Diana Nguyen, a sophomore studying family and human development. 

Though she enjoyed the experience, Nguyen said the price of food was "ridiculous." 

"I just spent $25 on tacos," Nguyen said. "I was like, 'Can I get one taco?' and they're like 'No, you have to buy a combo.'"

Devilpalooza is one of the biggest traditions of the spring semester. One of the concerns when planning the event was deciding if masks and social distancing would still be a requirement. 

Chase Atlantic performs at Devilpalooza.

"I was definitely nervous (for) what we were going to do, I want to respect everybody and make them feel comfortable," Fadden said. "We actually pushed the date back. Not a lot of people know that it used to be February 26. With the start of the school year, there was hope everyone's getting vaccinated." 

Ultimately, Fadden decided the event would follow CDC and ASU guidelines.

"I'm definitely glad that the mask mandate is lifted. I understand and respect the people that choose to wear it," said Naomi Ehrke, a sophomore forensic science student. "It's really just based on what you are most comfortable with. I'm glad everyone can come out and do what they feel comfortable with now."

As students waited for the concert to begin, rides and game booths were operating. Anticipation for Chase Atlantic, an alternative R&B band, was low, as many students said they did not know about the band before Devilpalooza. 

"I listen to all kinds of genres," said Emily Garcia, a freshman chemistry student. "So I've kind of tapped into this one (Chase Atlantic) before coming. I'll probably listen to more of their music after the concert."

After a night of bright lights and music, Devilpalooza ended at 11 p.m.

"I think it is fun, like as cheesy as the events are sometimes, it's fun!" Nguyen said.

Reach the reporter at alrami13@asu.edu and follow @byandrearamirez on Twitter.

Andrea RamirezCommunity Reporter

Andrea Ramirez is a part-time reporter at The State Press. She has previously worked for The State Press for Spring ‘23. 

×