Positive COVID-19 cases decline for ninth week in a row

The number of reported positive cases among students decreased by four, while reported faculty and staff cases increased by one since last week's update

220124 COVID Stock-1.jpg

A mask from an ASU Community of Care kit sits on top of Devil's drop-off saliva testing packets.

In the University's weekly COVID-19 update Monday evening, 31 known positive COVID-19 cases were reported within the ASU community, a decrease of three cases from last week's report of 34 cases. This update marks the University's ninth week of declining cases.

According to the update, 2,056 tests were administered this week in the ASU community, an increase of 802 since last week's report of 1,254 administered tests.

The number of known positive cases in the student body decreased by four from last week's report, declining to 23 total positive cases. ASU reported eight positive COVID-19 cases among faculty and staff, compared to last week's report of seven.

Of the 23 reported student COVID-19 cases, one known case resides on the Tempe campus, while the other 22 reside in off-campus housing.

This is the first COVID-19 data the University has released since mask-wearing and Daily Health Check participation became optional across all ASU campuses.

READ MORE: Masks, daily health checks to no longer be required on ASU's campuses

The Arizona Department of Health Services reported last Wednesday 5,153 new COVID-19 cases and 457 new deaths across the state the week prior.

Reach the reporter at sabuggle@asu.edu and follow @sadie_buggle on Twitter. 

Sadie BuggleOpinion Editor

Sadie Buggle is the Editor of the State Press Opinion Desk. This is her third semester working for the State Press after two semesters reporting for the Community and Culture Desk.

×