Olympic sports roundup: ASU hockey secures first series sweep against Colorado College

Women's golf climbed the leaderboard in the last day of the Stanford Intercollegiate, while volleyball split its Washington roadtrip

221022 Swim&Dive vs Wisc(RVA)-12.jpg

ASU sophomore swimmer Charli Brown diving off the blocks at Mona Plummer Aquatic Center in Tempe on Saturday, Oct. 22, 2022. Wisconsin beat ASU's women's swimming team 187-111.

Hockey

Sun Devil hockey recorded its first series sweep against Colorado College at Mullett Arena and has improved to 4-4 on the season. 

In game one, the Sun Devils started the game slowly but would rally to a 5-3 victory over the Tigers. Led by a stellar two-goal performance by graduate forward Demetrios Koumontzis, the five goals were the most the Sun Devils scored in any game this season. 

Overall, game one was a historic night for the Sun Devils. Koumontzis's two goals pushed him to tenth in program history for goals scored, and freshman forward Ryan Alexander netted his first goal of the season.

Other Sun Devils who scored were senior forward Robert Mastrosimone and senior defensemen Jack Judson

Game two of the weekend gave the Sun Devils their third chance to sweep in as many series, this time carrying their night one success into game two, demolishing the Tigers 6-1 on Saturday. 

ASU wasted no time getting back to its scoring ways, taking a 1-0 lead courtesy of Mastrosimone on the power play. Later in the first, junior forward Ryan O’Reilly put away the Sun Devils' second goal, cleaning up a rebound that fell perfectly to him. 

The next three Sun Devil goal scorers cashed in for their first goals with the program, two of which were their first-ever collegiate goals. 

Freshman forward Teddy Lagerback was denied on a breakaway but found ASU’s third goal shortly after as the Sun Devils continued their barrage. Junior transfer forward Ty Jackson scored his first goal in Tempe, firing a one-timer in to make it 4-0. 

The most impressive of the three first-time goals came from freshman forward Charlie Schoen, who went top shelf with a gorgeous snipe from the top of the circle to give ASU their fifth. 

After surrendering a goal to the Tigers, junior defenseman Tim Lovell got in on the fun, firing a rocket from the point to make it 6-1 Sun Devils. Lovell enjoyed himself on the celebration, planting his stick at center ice to cap off the big two-game sweep. 

Sophomore goaltender TJ Semptimphelter was once again a wall for ASU, stopping 24 of 25 shots, with the only goal coming off a tip-in. 

ASU will now head to Las Vegas for one game, taking on North Dakota at T-Mobile Arena in Oct. 29 at 7:07 p.m. 

Women's Golf

The Sun Devils saved the best for last this weekend, as women's golf used a strong Sunday performance at the Stanford Intercollegiate to elevate to a ninth-place finish. 

After entering the tournament's final day at No. 13, it was standout performances from senior Amanda Linner (-2) and junior Ashley Menne (-1) on day three that gave ASU the day's fifth-best score and propelled the Devils into the top ten.

Menne paced the Sun Devils, finishing one under overall and tied for thirteenth place for her thirteenth top-20 finish at ASU. Linner's strong Sunday brought her to 12 over for the weekend. Joining them on the Intercollegiate leaderboard were freshman Beth Coutler (+6, T43) and sophomores Grace Summerhays (+7, T49) and Calynne Rosholt (+8, T56). 

The Sun Devils' next competition features a short turnaround and a long commute, as the team will travel to Nanea Golf Club in Kailua-Kona, Hawaii next weekend, for the Pac-12 preview that begins on Oct. 31 and will run until Nov. 2.

Volleyball

ASU played Washington and Washington State this past week. 

The Sun Devils traveled to Seattle, Washington on Oct. 21 to play the Washington Huskies. 

The first set was high energy as the Sun Devils battled every point. The set was tied for the majority of gameplay but at 19-19, an attack error from Washington allowed sophomore outside hitter Geli Cyr and junior middle blocker Claudia Stahlke to get two kills. Another attack error from Washington put the Sun Devils ahead at 23-19. ASU won the set 25-21.

The second set was similar to the first set as both teams were extremely competitive. At game point for ASU, 24-22, Washington won the point and gained four points in a row from three kills and one attack error. ASU lost 26-24.

The third set was no different from the rest. The set was back and forth until Washington led 24-21 and ASU made a comeback. The four kills from Cyr and the one attack error allowed five points in a row, giving ASU the win at 26-24.

Washington fought back in the fourth set and changed the tone of the game. ASU could not complete an attack and lost the set 25-15.

With the match score tied at 2-2, ASU had to finish the game strong. At 13-12, ASU got the break away from a service error by Washington and a kill by Cyr to win the set at 15-12. ASU won the match 3-2.

After the win in Seattle, ASU traveled to Pullman, Washington to play Washington State on Sunday. 

The Sun Devils could not create any strong attacks in the first set until sophomore middle blocker Andi Kreiling, Miller and Isanovic scored three kills in the middle of the set and put ASU in a smaller deficit at 9-6. ASU could not get a foothold in the game and lost 25-16. 

The second set had a similar outcome to the first set but had more energy for the Sun Devils. ASU kept up with WSU but could not make any strides toward a win.  ASU lost 25-22.

WSU used the momentum from the previous sets to gain the lead of 18-10 in the third set. ASU almost closed the deficit at 23-21, but could not finish. WSU won the set at 25-21 and the match 3-0.

ASU is looking to play another game against Oregon State at home on Oct. 28 at 7 p.m. MST. 

Swim 

ASU men's swim dominated on Saturday against Wisconsin with a final score of 183 to 112. On the women's side, they finished with a score of 111 which wasn't enough to beat the Badgers. 

At the beginning of the meet, the men won the first nine swimming events to give them a strong lead for their team. 

Sophomore Leon Marchand won all three of his individual events and soared in the 400 IM when he finished with a time of 3:41.59 which was 17 seconds faster than the next runner-up. 

Freshman Owen McDonald completed his first win as a Sun Devil at the meet in the 100-meter backstroke. McDonald had a time of 47.61. 

Graduate student Grant House also got his name on the board taking first in the 200-meter freestyle with a time of 1:34.80 and the 100 freestyle finishing with a 43.70. 

The men's team had a couple of ASU 1-2-3 finishes including in the men's 100-meter butterfly. Fifth-year Max McCusker's final time was 47.04, junior Alex Colson's was 47.85, and senior Cody Bybee's was 48.41. 

For the dive team, junior Zachory Lundgren placed second in both the one and three-meter along with freshman Amayah Wiley. Lundgren had two final scores of 303.30 and 276.83. Wiley finished with 233.55 and 215.55. 

On the women's team, ASU had a couple of swimmers that showed out and took first in some of the events. There was a 1-2 finish in the 200-meter butterfly by junior Jade Foelske and junior Lindsay Looney

Foelske came in first with a time of 1:59.09 and Looney finished right behind her with a time of 1:59.82. 

Sophomores Emma Gehlert and Charli Brown took first in separate events. Brown had a time of 4:18.81 in the 400 IM and Gehlert finished with a 2:12.41 in the 200-meter breaststroke. 

The Sun Devils go to Los Angeles on Nov. 4 to take on USC and will not have another home meet until Jan. 14. 

Soccer 

The Sun Devils managed to snap their four-game winless streak on the road at Washington State in a 2-0 victory on Oct. 20.

The first half of the game started off slow for the Sun Devils managing only three shots compared to the Cougar's 11. 

However, ASU came out hot in the second half with graduate student forward Olivia Nguyen opening up the scoring just five minutes into the half from a cross by junior defender Lucy Johnson

ASU continued on the attack and junior forward Hannah Leitner put the nail in the coffin in the 73rd minute giving the Sun Devils a 2-0 lead. 

Freshman goalkeeper Pauline Nelles had another stellar night in goal with seven saves, giving Nelles her fourth clean sheet of the season. 

To finish off the road trip the Sun Devils fell just short of the Washington Huskies in a 2-1 defeat.

The Sun Devils managed to start this game on the front foot with a 14th-minute goal from graduate student midfield Alexia Delgado.

After this, the Sun Devils sat back to preserve the one-goal lead for the rest of the game. ASU almost played it perfectly until Washington managed to score two goals in the last three minutes of the game.

ASU finishes off the season with a three-game homestand which starts on Oct. 27 against Oregon at 7 p.m. MST. 

Edited by Kathryn Field, David Rodish and Grace Copperthite.

Reach the reporters at jeigo@asu.edu,  lboykins@asu.edu, awakefi3@asu.edu, sstaple5@asu.edu, agupt208@asu.edu.and bsilvyn@asu.edu and follow them @JosephEigo, @boykinslauren, @_alexwakefield, @AAYU5H16 and @BSilvyn on Twitter. 

Aayush Gupta

sports reporter

Bennett SilvynSports Reporter

Bennett Silvyn is a reporter for the sports desk at The State Press. He has previously worked for Walter Cronkite Sports Network and FC Tucson.

×