Olympic sports roundup: ASU soccer extends losing streak to three games

Sun Devil men's and women's golf finished top-5 in their respective tournaments, hockey splits series at Bemidji State

221009- Sun Devil Vball.jpg

The Arizona State women's volleyball team throw up forks after a timeout during their game against USC at Desert Financial Arena on Sunday, Oct. 9, 2022. ASU lost 1-3.

Women's golf

Sun Devil women's golf had its strongest outing of the season this week, finishing tied for fourth at the Windy City Collegiate Classic in Highland Park, Ill.

Sophomores Calynne Rosholt (+5) and Grace Summerhays (+6) paced ASU, finishing tied for 12th and 19th, respectively. They each shot 1-under in the tournament's final round catapulting ASU to fourth after the Sun Devils began the tournament's final day in seventh place.

In just her second collegiate outing, freshman Beth Coulter used an even second round to finish 8-over and tied for 24th. 

Freshman Paula Schulz-Hanssen also excelled, finishing the final round at an even 72, tying her career best. Schulz-Hanssen finished the tournament 10-over and tied for 35th.

After a top-20 finish at ANNIKA, junior Ashley Menne began Windy City at the top of ASU's lineup. She finished the tournament 14-over and tied for 47th.

ASU will look to build on this week's momentum as it heads to Palo Alto on Oct. 21 for the Stanford Intercollegiate.

Men's golf

ASU men's golf continued its strong start to the season this week with a third-place finish at the Ben Hogan Collegiate Invitational in Fort Worth, Texas on Oct. 3 and 4. 

The Sun Devils were led by sophomores Preston Summerhays (-3) and Josele Ballester (-1), who finished tied for eighth and 15th, respectively. ASU finished the tournament at five under, sharing its third-place finish with Pepperdine.

After starting the tournament's final round tied for 42nd at 4-over, senior Ryggs Johnston shot 3-under and launched himself into a tie for 22nd place with fellow Sun Devil Michael Mjaaseth

ASU's 50 total birdies were second only to the tournament's winner, North Carolina.

The Sun Devils will next compete at the East Lake Cup in Atlanta, Ga., beginning on Oct. 24. It will be their last tournament of the fall. 

Soccer

The Sun Devils fell short on the road against the No. 1 ranked UCLA Bruins 4-0 on Oct 6.

The Bruins started the game hot by scoring two goals within the first six minutes. Junior forward Reilyn Turner struck first in the second minute followed by graduate student forward Ally Cook in the fifth minute. 

The game settled down and the Sun Devils looked to make a comeback. 

However, the Bruins extended their lead to three in the 49th minute and added the finishing touch in the 70th minute to kill any chance of a comeback.

ASU struggled offensively with five shots, one of which was on target compared to UCLA's 20 shots with 10 on target.

Freshman Pauline Nelles has a stellar game in goal with six saves. 

Following their loss to UCLA, the Sun Devils looked to bounce back from their defeat with another ranked opponent, USC. 

The Trojans quickly put pressure on ASU scoring two goals within the first 20 minutes of the game. The Sun Devils maintained pressure on the Trojans with 21 shots.

The high pressure would soon get to the Trojans as freshman forward/midfielder Enasia Colon scored her second goal of the season to put the game within reach just minutes into the second half.USC was too much for the Sun Devils as ASU dropped its third game in a row. 

The Sun Devils continue their campaign on Oct. 14 at 7 p.m. MST when they host Utah. 

Hockey

ASU's final stop on its opening two-city road trip took the team to Bemidji State for a two-game set with the Beavers. 

Game one went to the Sun Devils 3-0, with goals from junior forward Matthew Kopperud, sophomore forward Jackson Niedermayer and sophomore defenseman Ty Murchison powering the Maroon and Gold to the win. 

BSU doubled ASU in shots and won 10 more faceoffs. Sophomore goaltender TJ Semptimphelterwas the backbone for the Sun Devils in game one, securing the shutout with 40 saves between the pipes. 

Game two was not so kind to Semptimphelter as he surrendered five Beaver goals in ASU's 5-4 overtime loss. The Sun Devils kept their power play in top form with two goals on the man advantage from Kopperud and senior forward Robert Mastrosimone. Mastrosimone also added an even-strength goal. Sophomore forward Josh Doan added a goal of his own to round out the Sun Devils' four goals. 

ASU rounded out its road trip 1-3, but one of ASU's two overtime losses came against No. 4 Minnesota Duluth and the other against a Bemidji State team that finished its previous season in its conference championship. There is plenty of optimism for this ASU squad. 

The Sun Devils will play at Mullett Arena for the first time this season on Friday and Saturday at 7 p.m. MST against Colgate.

Volleyball

ASU volleyball welcomed both Los Angeles schools to Tempe, but it was not the best of weekends for the Sun Devils, going 0-2. 

In game one against UCLA, the Bruins swept the Sun Devils in straight sets 25-15, 25-18, and 25-21. The numbers reflect ASU's performance, nearly getting doubled in digs, producing 16 fewer kills and tallying 18 fewer assists. A bright spot for the Sun Devils was senior setter Shannon Shields notching 20 assists in the match. 

The Sun Devils faced the USC Trojans in the second game of the weekend. ASU had a hot start, winning the first set 25-18, but went on to drop the next three sets to the Trojans 25-13, 25-23, and 25-16. 

Shields was once again a bright spot for the Sun Devils, registering 26 assists. The Sun Devils provided some solid defense against the Trojans with 51 digs, 19 more than they had against UCLA. 

Another weekend of opportunity against California schools awaits the Sun Devils in Tempe this weekend. ASU will take on California on Friday at 5:30 p.m. and No. 7 Stanford on Sunday at 3 p.m. at Desert Financial Arena. 

Edited by Kathryn Field, David Rodish and Kristen Apolline Castillo.

Reach the reporters at jeigo@asu.edu, alkalmba@asu.edu, awakefi3@asu.edu and bsilvyn@asu.edu and follow them @_alexwakefield, @adokalm32, @JosephEigo and @BSilvyn on Twitter. 

Addison KalmbachSports Reporter

Addison Kalmbach is a reporter for The State Press Sports desk. He has previously worked for Detroit City FC and PHOENIX Magazine.

Bennett SilvynSports Reporter

Bennett Silvyn is a reporter for the sports desk at The State Press. He has previously worked for Walter Cronkite Sports Network and FC Tucson.

×